Taste Bud's Changed?

dramqueen6
on 6/5/08 6:31 am - Glendale, AZ
So i am 33 days until my surgery (again whos counting? lol).. I have a question... After you had your surgery did your cravings for certain foods end?  Did your taste buds change? I know that sounds crazy but I heard that you actually start to crave food you wouldnt have touched pre-surgery.. Is that right? 

Cindy

*Surgery Scheduled for July 8th!! YAY
Gena L.
on 6/5/08 10:11 am - Sun City, AZ
I have not heard that before, but yes your taste does change post-op. Mine did not until late in the second week.  I loved my Unjury shakes prior to surgery and the 1st week post-op was no problems. By the end of the second week I could not get them down. This I think is caused from the nerves that are severed in the stomach/pouch area during surgery. I hear it is usually temporary and you get your taste back in a few months as the same nerves regenerate. I have not had a problem with many other foods tho.  In the beginning, post op nearly everything you can eat is sweet, usually from artifical sweetners, jello, pudding, SF pop sickles, Crystal Lite, powdered protein shakes...on and on.  I hear Blackstone's patients are not allowed artifical sweetner of any kind. The only thing I have truly craved is a real full octane ;-) Pepsi.  I have had very few of them over the years as I am diabetic....and I think only as I am tired of water, Crystal lite, etc.

maxaz1
on 6/5/08 3:42 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Yes - I went through some strange taste stuff. I won't even count the first 4 months - The ketosis taste throws everything off, and nothing much tastes good. Although, now that I think of it, I craved pickles! It was like I was pregnant. I swear I could smell them through the jars in the supermarket. I ended up with multiple jars of pickles in the frig.  LOL By 3 months, I couldn't think of eggs without breaking into a sweat. (ugh) After that, I found myself craving spicy and hot stuff. Couldn't get enough salsa. Green, red, yellow - as long as it was hot. And cans of diced chilis went into everything I cooked. I wasn't much of a fan before the surgery, so it was kind of funny.   I found myself repulsed by red meats, which I had always loved, and I loved eating fish, which I had never been real crazy about. I made cottage cheese and yogurt a staple of my diet - something new for me. Now, 9.5 months out, much of my taste is back to normal. I like red meat again - but not like before. I still prefer chicken and fish, but enjoy some red meat now and then. I enjoy the hot spicy foods still, but am no longer crazed by them.  It's been very odd....But it all seems to even out.
Sarah B.
on 6/9/08 10:49 am - Tucson, AZ
I'm not sure your taste buds change for the worse... I didn't crave or care about all the stuff that got me to the stage I was in before surgery... so that was good.  As for now, 4 years later, I still like the same stuff.. lol  I have to be careful.  Just follow the doctor's orders and honestly... you won't be hungry for a while.  I remember when I went into the pureed food stage and I had scrambled eggs.......... omg it was the best food I had ever tasted. lol... So.. yes it changes a bit.. but don't worry about craving bad stuff... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I became somewhat of a health nut.  Also... I prefer bland food now... whereas before I couldn't stand bland and wanted everything super salty or flavored.  So.. like I said... it's a good change!
ozfever
on 6/15/08 6:18 pm - Phoenix, AZ
YUP mine changed. Never liked Cheese before WLS, now LOVE it!   I am over 2 years out and STILL crave chocolate... Luckily I dump when I eat it so my pouch keeps me in check.
Nicole W.
on 6/16/08 4:16 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Yep...  they did for me.  I LOVED white cheeses before surgery, especially mozzarella cheese.  I would eat those cheese sticks a few times a day.  Now, can't stand them.  The cheese has to be melted and hot for me to even try to eat it.   Wasn't a big chocolate person prior to surgery, now I like it.  Loved watermelon, now way too sweet for me. Depends on the person, I guess.  I cannot do Jello anymore... must have been the week after surgery and all the strictures I had.  Good Luck with your surgery. ~Nicole

TinkerBell

Most Active