blockages

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/08 2:53 am - APO AE, Germany
I am 2 1/2 years post surgery and have recently been having a lot of problems with bowel blockage. So much in fact that I have been admitted to the ER for the pain. I haven't changed anything I have been eating, however maybe my carb intake has increased since my husband has been deployed. He has been gone about 10 months now. I am getting ready to have my abdominalplasty done in less than 10 days. Any idea what could be causing the blockage? I even get enemas and they don't work for almost 8 hours...HELP! I am very uncomfortable!
I have been living on percocet and tylenol 3 for the pain...but not a lot of movements going on. I have regular BMs daily (3-4 times) and they are loose; so how in the world is there a block?
ginau
on 5/30/08 1:02 am - mesa, AZ
Blockage ????    Sounds more than on  Obstruction !  do your Dr's fully understand what your body has gone through?   I would have them check before you do any plastics work .  Obstructions are not uncommon this far out.
sgirl
on 5/30/08 2:03 pm - tucson, AZ

I am wondering if that is what is going on with me.  I have been told that I have twisted intestines, but the word "blockage" has come up also.  Are you in pain, and if so, can you describe what type of pain it is.  I have severe upper abdominal pain, and it shoots to the back.  I have also been told that it could be gallstones, although I had my gallbladder taken out years ago.  I also was prepared to have plastic surgery, but I need to take care of this issue first. Thanks 227/137/114

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/08 5:11 pm - APO AE, Germany

I have had cT scans and x-rays done and I do not have the twisted intestines. I too had my gallbladder removed at my gastric bypass surgery. I am going to go ahead and proceed witht he plastic surgery since I am feeling better. I know that the doctor here in Germany told me to avoid certain foods because they are hard to digest, and I believe what sent me this time was celery. The strings that are in celery are not digestable with RNY patients and I ate a lot of it on Memorial Day. The next day I was in the ER. I was not able to go to the bathroom at all. The pain starts off as a burning pain in the upper ab around the ribs and sternum. After that, it contracts and burns like a ot knife being ripped into me. There is absolutely NO relief unless I am given something through IV. I sweat, cry, can not get a comfortable position, throw up, it is so bad. I swear I would rather be in labor! LOL..I bloat and the scale tips 4 pounds heavier! Now, I am totally gassy and it smells as if I haven't had a BM in months. The gas is so bad; but it feels so good.  I have just been very careful this week with what goes in my mouth.  I am at a plateau in weight loss and I am frustrated as hell. With my husband deployed to Iraq on a 15 moth deployment, I have been overeating carbs...comfort foods...i am paying th price now!  I hope you find some relief. Be careful of stringy foods, celery and asparagus especially. Please let me knowhow it turns out. Kelly

ginau
on 5/31/08 12:26 am - mesa, AZ
Kelly  Sounds like foods full of fiber  do it  to you !  sometimes kinks in the intestines do not show up on exrays  and ultra sounds . -- What type of surgery did you have to start with ? what length is your common channel ?
(deactivated member)
on 5/31/08 1:08 am - APO AE, Germany
I had the RNY and it was done March 2005. This is only the 2nd time this has happened, once the pain is gone, I am good to go. This last one though is hanging on. I feel better, but I still have some tenderness in that area. I feel as if I do have a "plug" and the food I eat now is trying to force it down. I am on a stool softener, I have gone 7 times already today. I am just hoping it breaks up and clears out. Yes, I do have a lot of trouble with my greens especially...spinach, asparagus tops (avoiding the stems due to stringiness), celery (now). Mushrooms also seem to give me problems (fresh ones, not canned). I also know as a fact my water intake has significantly decreased these past few months. I use to be able to get at least 2 liters a day of water in, now I am barely getting a full liter. That in itself is hurting me, I know. Work has just been so busy that I am hardly at my desk where the water sits all day!  I am not sure what length my common channel is (nor do I know what a common channel is, sorry). Please elaborate on that and still I am not sure if I would know. When we have our surgeries here in Germany, off military bases, once you have your 2 follow ups, the Germany doctor refers you directly to your primary care doctor (on base). I get my labs, meds and my shots on base and that is the extent of the follow up from here. Thanks so much for listening to me!!
Most Active