Ooooh!! Now the itchies have started

beckipoohbear
on 5/28/08 12:56 pm - AZ
So here I am 9 days out from surgery and doing pretty well. Most of the muscle soreness is gone, just a little bit when getting up and down from a chair, couch or bed. Most of the pain is gone. I have only been nauseous once for 5 minutes in the hospital until they gave me one dose of med for that. I still take a nap every afternoon so I am glad I'm not back to work. All my food since I was able to start proteins on Tuesday has gone down perfectly, vitamins are going down perfectly, protein drinks are gross but fine. I just have one major problem. The evil itchies have started!!! Just today everything started itching and it is driving me crazy. Only some of my steri-strips have fallen off but around each of my incisions I have these huge red welts that are raised up and warm to the touch. It's pretty gross and annoying but I figure the itchies are just the next step in the healing process which is a good thing. Any way just a little rant and a little update for the evening. Good luck to all of those with upcoming surgeries. I will be thinking about you. Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

L. TP
on 5/28/08 2:38 pm
Neosporin (sp?) with pain relief has an anti itch in it.  Also cortizone with anti itch is allowed also!  Get them, save yourself the heartache.  I think the neo with pain relief is the better of the two but I think that will depend on the person! So happy for you! Lyns
Gena L.
on 5/28/08 2:39 pm - Sun City, AZ
In my humble opinion at 9 days out....it is NOT normal to have red welts around your incisions. This sounds like either a reaction to the steri strips  (remember the problems Lydia developed?) or an infection. Call your surgeons office first thing in the morning.

Lady Lithia
on 5/28/08 2:43 pm
I second what Gena said... that sounds like an allergic reaction setting in, and when mine started up (much sooner after surgery) if I'd gone in right away, I wouldn't have ended up being covered from knees to scalp in an awful red welt!  See the doc. Also, if you'd had Dr. J. I'd advise you to remove the steri-strips, but since you had a different surgeon, I'd see what he thinks. Below is a picture of my red welts BEFORE they got bad

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/08 10:53 am - AZ
That looks so painful. I am allergic to this kind of steristrips and tape. If you put a cheap bandaid on I get a rash and start to itch in about 1 min. I hope you feel better. Poor baby !!! I feel for you. I hope when I get my revision I get the good tape. Dawn
Lady Lithia
on 6/1/08 3:17 pm
Thanks Dawn, my belly healed miraculously fast! Here's a picture of my belly one month after surgery, 3 weeks after the other picture of my tummy:  Does make me worry how I'll fare if/when i have plastic surgery. It was a nightmare!  My skin has healed very well, and I have to search my skin to find four out of five of my incisions... and I'm not evne to 3 months yet.

Deanne K.
on 5/29/08 1:33 am - Tucson, AZ
Rebecca, You probably have a tape allergy.  I had that when I had my surgery and Dr. Blackstone told me to put Benadryl on it.  I was still in the hospital when it happened to me.  It doesn't hurt to call though.
beckipoohbear
on 5/29/08 3:06 am - AZ
I called the office this morning and when I described these red patches they wanted me to come in this afternoon. So I will go at 2:45 and see what they have to say. I am sure it is nothing to be worried about but better safe than sorry. Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Lady Lithia
on 5/29/08 12:13 pm
Let us know what you found out. My rash got so bad my throat started to close up on me. 

Gena L.
on 5/29/08 1:30 pm - Sun City, AZ
So Lithia how are you doing? Don't see you on here much any more.  Gena

Most Active