OT: Scared tonight

quiltz
on 5/26/08 1:58 pm - Phoenix, AZ
For several years before my wls my knees have been very painful and make the most awful grating noises.  Since I have lost weight, I can finally have a knee replacement.  I'm scheduled tomorrow.  For some reason, I am petrified of the pain afterwards.  Not just anxious, but nearly frozen with fear.  I know they will give me medications and keep me comfortable.  As many of you know, my DH is in the Middle East (business not military).  He cannot be here for the surgery or the recovery!  I know this is out of his hands, but feel so alone.  My son and daughter-in-law live here and will help, but they both work.  They will be "in and out" during the day and my son is planning on staying here at night.  My neurologic disease prevents me from driving so I haven't met anyone although I have lived here 2 years...except doctors!  My bichon is my constant companion and such a comfort, but she will be at the boarders for the first week and a half because I'm afraid I might fall over her.  I just needed a shoulder to "cry on" and am so thankful you guys are out there!  I'll be in touch when I can get back to the computer.
Gena L.
on 5/26/08 3:14 pm - Sun City, AZ
I can feel your pain. It must be very scary to be facing this surgery after having wls. However think how much better your life will be once this surgery is over and you have healed. I wanted to ask if you are having the Stryker method of knee replacement done?  The woman who grooms our dog in in her mid 70's and she recently had both knees done at THE SAME Time!  This is a marvel to me as I used to work on an othopaedic unit and this would never have been done  even 10 years ago unless there was no other way to have it done. She recovered in record time and I was amazed at how quickly she recovered. She later told me that having both knees done was a piece of cake compared to how tired she was after the surgery. We all know it takes time to recoup after surgery and when I told her she was expecting an awful lot of herself so soon after surgery she admitted that she probably was expecting too much of herself. I also have cousins who have used this same method and they were up and working out faster than I would have thought possible.  I am sorry your DH can not be with you.  Having him by your side would make it so much easier.  You are lucky your son and daughter in law are nearby and come to check on you.  I have noticed your posts many times before and have wondered, by your screen name if you are a quilter?  I used to quilt but stopped several years ago due to Fibromyalgia. It is something I hope to do again one day when I am feeling better.  Know that we all wish you the very best...and I am sure that the nurses and your surgeon will help you control the pain. Just stay ahead of the pain...don't let it get too bad before uing the button and the pump as then it takes longer to stop the pain.  Don't be brave...ask for their help if you need it and please keep us posted how you are doing! Gena

quiltz
on 5/26/08 3:18 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!  Yes before my vision problems I quilted.  I guess once a quilter, always a quilter!  I just have to get through until 10 in the morning when my son will come pick me up.  I do have something to help me sleep tonight and I am very thankful for that!  Again, thank you for being there!
L. TP
on 5/26/08 3:40 pm
I just took a few moments and prayed over you.  I am going on KLOVES site and am posting a prayer request also.  I pray that God give you strength and calm your heart and that you have a safe and loving process.  If you are able try to pick up some audio books that may help your heart. I recommend Joel Osteen Your Best Life Now.  It is truly perfect for you at this moment!  You won't be sorry.  Keep us posted.  You are in my heart.    I am not sure why you were placed in this journey with your hubby being gone and under these cir****tances but there is a very big blessing here.  I know this won't be easy but I know that it will be okay too :)  No worries my friend, no worries.  Hugs ;) Lyns
quiltz
on 5/26/08 11:36 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you so much.
redmtnwolf
on 5/29/08 2:39 pm
Hi Quiltz, I am new here, and researching lap-band.  Please do not stress to much.  The pain is very manageable. I helped care for a friend last year who had it.  She swears that it's the best thing that ever happened to her....and she's kind of a wimp, lol.  I think you are probably feeling stress from a combination of things, including the fact that your DH is gone.  Do yourself a favor....don't try to "tough it out" or cut back on the pain meds.  They are instrumental in your recovery. Good luck!
Most Active