tukery/veggie broth

RedSirenn
on 5/22/08 4:28 pm - Mesa, AZ

Does anyone have a favorite broth they like. I had a can of chicken broth in my pantry so i thought i would give it try. NASTY!!! I am sooo hoping that it was just the brand that i had and they dont all taste the same. If not the first week post-op is going to be very long because i hate jello. mmmmm water.....lol 

JUS4TRA
on 5/22/08 11:40 pm
Trader joe's has a box of chicken broth with induvial packs in it ,my mom say;s it is great .

Av8trx
on 5/23/08 4:13 am - north-central, AZ
I'm just transitioning from clear liquids to full liquids and have had vegetable soup broth a couple of times.  I got the low sodium vegetable soup, mixed in a can of water just like usual but then strained out all the veggies.   You can pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze if you want.  That way you can heat up just a couple of cubes at a time in the microwave.  I won't usually eat stuff thats been sitting in the fridge a while, so freezing it works for me. - Kailolu

Michael B.
on 5/23/08 4:45 am, edited 5/23/08 4:45 am - Gilbert, AZ
My absolute FAVORITE during that stage wash Progresso Minestrone (just the broth only) It was cheesy and delicious! I even went against medical advice and "blenderized" a can - but that was disgusting and I had to throw it out, stick to the broth only! There is a low sodium version too, if you're worried about that, but I was consuming such small quantities of everything then that I didn't really care too much about how much salt I was getting, but if that contradicts what you were told by your surgeon/nutrtionist, then of course go with what they told you! Also, Unjury brand Chicken Broth flavored protein powder was surprisingly really good...

Visit My Newly Launched Blog:

L. TP
on 5/23/08 7:41 am
Trader Joes boxed (not packet as I have not tried that) is pretty good.  Its more protein than the packets also.  Right now I really like Sunflowers (just like Whole Foods) chicken broth organic with spices.  Its dirt cheap too.  If you want to know the big secret and best idea go to Sweet Tomatoes.  Get chicken soup "large" to go.  You can go and get it yourself.  Just get all the broth. Its completely natural and unbelieveable!  Remember, its only going to be good for 3 days so buy appropriately but my friends mother lived on this the first week.  Its awesome.  Really really good.  This is exactly where my husband is going to go for me!  Lyns
20candy07
on 5/24/08 11:34 am - Tolleson, AZ
The broth , a Chinese take out uses for their won ton soup,  is the bomb!!  I ordered it without the won tons for less than 3.00 a large container.  It's very tasty.   It's good to use towards your quota of water for the day. Candy

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/08 12:09 pm - AZ
Candy,  What about egg drop soup ? Is that a good protein for you and can you also count toward as water ? Thanks, Dawn
20candy07
on 5/25/08 5:47 am - Tolleson, AZ
Hi, Egg drop soup has 8 grams of protein per 1 cup and only 70 calories.  Depending on the consistency of the solids in it I would count it towards the liquid quota of the day if they are totally soft. .   If you are at the liquid stage of your diet I would pull out the solids eat that first  very slowly then drink the broth a half hour later after you finish the last bite of solid  and that broth would count as your liquid for the day and it does have some protein in it.   Have to drink it slow per the program though.  I think it's 45 minutes to get down 8 ounces of liquid and half an hour to eat the solids.  I lived on broth and the Chinese soups are very tasty.  You can even make your own with a can of swanson chicken broth and cook it with fresh ginger and green onion in it and strain them out.  Hope this helps... Candy

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/08 6:50 am - AZ
Candy, Thanks for the advice. I like alot of broths to drink, like beef, chicken, onion and egg drop. Thanks , Dawn
Most Active