News on Dr. Villares and Banner Goodsams Bariatric Program

saramae
on 5/24/08 6:23 pm - Humboldt, AZ
I had Dr. Villares do my laproscopic RNY a year ago and I also think he's an excellent surgeon.  During a shared medical visit several months ago, a hospital administrator interrupted the session and said that the whole bariatric program was going to be dropped.  It seemed as if it wasn't as profitable as they expected.  Dr. V was upset and it was almost as if he had only known for a short time.  Then, possibly a week later, I had contact with his office and learned that it was all on again.  I sure wouldn't want to be jerked around like that!  Banner Good Sam's program doesn't impress me, but they do provide all the elements of a good program.  They seem to lack flexibility for individuals.  I hope that I can still work with Dr. V, but I support him in his need to find a better facility. Saramae
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/08 8:21 pm, edited 5/24/08 8:26 pm - AZ
jonijo
on 5/25/08 6:53 am - Buckeye, AZ
I had surgery scheduled with Dr Villares for June 12. I went in for my pre op at Good Sam and was told my surgery was canceled. I called Dr Villares office and couldnt get through. I called Dr Juarez just to see if they knew what was going on, and was told they were taking Dr Villares patients but they wouldn't comment on why. I didn't make an appointment with them. I didn't have a clue as to what happened, where he was going, absolutely nothing. I still have not even heard from his office.  I made an appointment with Dr Debarros. My first visit was 5 hours. I talked with a nurse, the nutritionist, both surgeons in the office spent time answering questions one on one with me, and I had a couple of tests I still needed right in the office. The staff, surgeons, and office environment was so professional, it was like night and day to my previous experience. I got more information in that one visit than anything I had recieved up to that time. I say everything happens for a reason and I'm not sorry that I was sent in a different direction than the one I had anticipated.
(deactivated member)
on 5/25/08 7:06 am - AZ
winningatlosing
on 5/29/08 2:09 am

Good luck with Dr Debarros, he is awesome.  Get all your cost upfront, I did not and now have many bills that I was told what I paid prior to surgery was all I was to pay.  The out of network doctor fee is not what they say.  My insurance only paid 70% of the allowable amount ($750 of which they paid $525), the co-surgeon fee was over $5000 and I still owe them about $3000!  I paid just over $3000 before surgery making my total more than $6000!!  Scary to think I had insurance coverage.  It should have dawned on me that they wanted over $500 to even get to see the doctor for my "free" consult.   I have since found out that I never had to pay all that, I could have gone to another doctor and just paid my copay to them and the hospital.  I hate the wait for my fills, sometimes 2 or more hours not to mention that employees are never the same from visit to visit, I still go because I paid for the support and program but now am thinking it was not worth what I paid.  I have only been to one meeting and it was a joke, went to the Saturday meeting with Jenn and that was awesome, more about real life living with our choices.  I hear the fees are worse for people paying cash since they have to pay like $300 for a fill each time!  Some of them have started using the fillcenterusa or another doctor for fills. Don't get me wrong, I should have done more homework and listened to others.  I only have myself to blame.  I knew the finance guy was a jerk from the get go so I should have run like hell but I am losing weight and feeling great. We have options buit we are sometimes very quick in our desire to get the weight off we make choices based on impulse and not rational thinking.   I know that Dr Schlesinger, Dr Jaurez, & Dr Fang do not have program fees or support costs and fills are included.  Dr Simpson does but his fill are included the first year.  Dr Blackstone is expensive and has too long of a waiting list IMHO. Hope all that have been displaced by Dr Villares find a better place and get moving on the losing side soon.

jonijo
on 5/30/08 6:33 am - Buckeye, AZ
Thanks for all your info. At my consult I had to pay $54. for copay and the blood draw. I got a paper from the finance guy that shows my obligation as 1,107, for the co surgeon fee and 1000 for the support. It's an invoice with a total of 2233. Do you think additional fee could be added to that? I was disapointed with that because with Vilares it was all included in my insurance, but I was ok with it since I felt I was getting better care and more support. I don't know what other options I have with Tricare Prime. Not very many doctors take it. More take Tricare Standard, but won't take Prime. I'm sorry you ended up with so much to pay out of pocket.  I don't want to end up with all that.  I think my fills will be covered with a $12 copay, but I need to make sure.Have  you been happy with the surgeons and the care you recieved? I'm happy for you that you are feeling good and losing weight. I can't wait to feel better and be able to do more things. I'm so ready for the change.
winningatlosing
on 6/10/08 10:03 am
I love the care I got at with Dr D.  He is a funny sweet guy.  I just am mad as heck about the fees I still need to pay.  I paid what I thought was all I needed to pay but my insurance co paid the allowable and i am resonsible for the rest because its a out of network thing. My friend had Villares with Tricare prime, and she is now going to Shlesinger and she does not have any fees.  She is having a band next week.   I would call your insurance to see if you should have fees. Good Luck,  Kim
JLouisa
on 8/10/08 11:35 am
Hello Veekay,

Dr. Villares sounds wonderful.  I just had a lap band surgery done and I am 4 weeks post Op.

Will this doctor do a fill on me ?  Even though I had my procedure done in Tijuans by Dr. Lopez who is  also wonderful.

Let me know, janet...I live in Prescott Arizona
Peace,

janet louisa
sweatysweetie
on 5/25/08 7:32 am
jonijo
on 5/25/08 10:32 am - Buckeye, AZ
Hey Dawn and Sweatysweetie. I diffinatly think that refunds are in order. At least the copays. I don't know what's going on or if we ever will. I could tell by my new surgeons reaction he had heard something but of course they aren't going to talk to patients about it. I'm just glad it happened before hand and nothing worse happened, like during surgery or after. I hope this dosen't hold things up too long. We all know how anxious we are about surgery dates. Dawn, I hope things work out for you.
Most Active