What happens when you meet with Blackstone for the first time?

L. TP
on 5/11/08 2:53 pm
I meet with the surgeon (Dr. Blackstone) for the first time this Tuesday.   What happened on your first appointments with her and how long was the appointment? Thanks, Lyns
beckipoohbear
on 5/11/08 3:22 pm - AZ
My appointment with Dr. Sprunger (same office) was pretty basic. You show up at the hour early time, one of the office girls went over my paperwork and my current meds (make sure you know all meds and dosages). Then she gave me a pack of papers to complete and sign. Back out to the waiting room to do all of that (it's like a risks of surgery form, scientific study release type stuff). That took the rest of that first hour. I was called back right on time, taken to an exam room. The nurse weighed me and within about 5 minutes the surgeon came in. He went over my chart, went over my meds and when I should stop each of them, then he spent about an hour answering any questions that I had, took a quick look at my stomach and then we were done. Pretty low key. I would assume the process would be much the same with Blackstone. I did ask him about the catheter and he was pretty much, it's no big deal medically and thought it would come out that night or the next morning. It was a virtual non-issue for him in terms of us having it in. That was my experience. Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

L. TP
on 5/11/08 6:13 pm
Did you have to get in a gown or anything or did you stay in your cloths?  When you say he looked at your stomach ...what do you mean? For doctors catheters are no big deal...I am a baby lol.  How long did you actually meet with the surgeon?  Lyns
ginau
on 5/12/08 1:32 am - mesa, AZ
Lynn  My first surgry  was with Dr Blackstone,  you will see her for about 15- 30 min , go over any last minute questions,  She will look at your tummy - see its shape  and  if you have anything  that stands out to her . ( I had a lump on my one side a sebacious cyst)  not a big deal !  You stay in your clothes !    the chatheter  will be done in the or when you are looped out of your gourd ( drugged )   they have to do it  to keep the O.R. sterile . you don want to dribble urine and contaminate anything !  when they take it out  they  just unplug it . believe me - you will want it in !! the first 12 hrs your going to hurt a little  bit  - get up and move !!!!  Please dont be afraid of any of this !!  cuz everything you go through  will be worth it in the long run !! just breathe  deep and let it go .....  focus on how much better things are going to be .
beckipoohbear
on 5/12/08 2:11 am - AZ
No gown, he just laid the table back and had me lift up my shirt, felt my stomach and that was that - took like 30 seconds.  He actually spent an hour with me answering all of my questions, I honestly think if I would have had more he would have stayed even longer. Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

westvalley
on 5/12/08 5:56 am - Glendale, AZ
You stay in your clothes. They just take a look at your belly, exam old scares if you have any, a lil push here and there and that's it. She expalins some generals about the surgery and asks if you have any questions. You won't even know you have a catheter until they tell you they are going to take it out and that some hours after surgery. My visit with her was about 15 minutes the whole process was about an hour. I would have met with her longer if I could have remembered half my questions. There was no rush. HTH
***HUGS***
}i{ Julie
quiltz
on 5/14/08 2:40 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I took in about 7 specific questions about my personal health issues.  She went through them one by one taking as much time as I needed to get a clear understanding.  No gown.  She went through the basic "what to expect" while in the hospital and when you first go home.  This information had been very well covered in the class, but it was good to have it reinforced.  The total time was about 20 minutes.  She is rather a straight shooter and not too big on chit chat.  That in my opinion is good because there are others waiting their turn.
Most Active