Is my dinner causing this pain?

Gena L.
on 5/9/08 2:53 pm, edited 5/9/08 2:54 pm - Sun City, AZ
I am 5 weeks post op RNY.  Tonight we went out for dinner.  So far I have not had any problems with chicken, fish, seafood. Without thinking I ordered a moist ground steak for dinner. Since eating I have had a real heaviness and moderate pain in my pouch area. Feels like a brick lying in there.  I thought at first it was gas causing the pain but it has just dawned on me that it is probably the beef causing the problem? If that is what this is...then I so glad I ate only a few bites before giving up on it. No problems going down but apparently pouchy is having a lot of trouble digesting the beef?  Gena

20candy07
on 5/9/08 3:03 pm - Tolleson, AZ
Hey Gena, Sounds like your pouch may not be ready to digest beef yet?  Try eating again in a week or so to see if you get the same reaction.  I ate Chinese beef with brocoli and appears to be ok in my tummy so far.......I'm having problems at work with my digestion.   Candy

Deanne K.
on 5/9/08 3:33 pm - Tucson, AZ
Gena,  It's to early for beef.  What does your nutrition plan say when you can add beef.  It was after 4 months or me.  That pain is an indication of eating something you shouldn't or eating too much.  Be careful with portions and types of foods. 
Lady Lithia
on 5/9/08 3:56 pm
I've had ground beef in chili, and ground chicken tacos, but look forward to eating steak. You're describing what I had happen to me when I had a subway sandwich chicken innard.. turns out it was pressed meat, and within about 10 minutes of eating it I felt like a brick was sitting on my chest, so I went to the bathroom where I started to foam up, my salivary glands were in overdrive and then URP.. up it came. Dinner that night... same thing... I went back to liquids for 24 hours to give my tummy time to settle. 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

ginau
on 5/9/08 10:48 pm - mesa, AZ
Gena  It sounds like it , I know the dfff docs have their own guidleines for when to add beef back to the diet. if your tempeted to try it again soon ,, I would suggest  chilli - wendy's is perfect  and then move onto something like  meatloaf from boston market or meatballs in sauce .. Beef is very hard to digest -  and just takes time for that pouch  to adjust to it .  
L. TP
on 5/10/08 5:02 am
They like us to wait on beef over at SHC.  Surprisingly chili is okay.  I guess beef by itself contains a lot of oil and fat that chicken etc don't and that also plays into it along with Beef not digesting as easily like everyone is saying. Sorry you haven't felt well from it!  Lyns
Gena L.
on 5/10/08 6:16 am - Sun City, AZ
Thanks everyone. I ordered with out thinking because I was able to eat my chili and chicken in an enchilada the other day. Won't try this again soon tho as it was about 5 hours before the beef digested enough to move on. It was a long evening and certainly not worth the beef. Gena

Sandra C.
on 5/10/08 11:34 am - Phoenix, AZ
Gena, when I had my first bypass I did exactly what you did. I had a hamburg and it just laid there. Even after 20 years I could only have rare hamburgs or any type of beef and had to have small pieces and chew really good. I could eat taco's and spaghetti sauce with meat and it didn't bother me. I am only a month out now, and am leary of trying even chicken or fish. I am really taking it slow this time because I have upchucked  enough in my life!
Gena L.
on 5/10/08 12:51 pm - Sun City, AZ
Heavens Sandra....would I have the nerve to go through this again???  I am not sure I would.  I do not regret doing it but to repeat this...don't know if I could.  I have had chicken...the Hormel chicken and gravy thingy in the pouch from the refrigerated section at grocery...only a tiny amount and it is so incredibly moist and tender. For Cinco Day we had Mexican and I had no problems at all with the chicken enchilada and refried beans and even ate part of the rice....I had 4 meals out of that one dinner and did so well with it...but I can NOT eat Taco Bell's refried beans or Wendy's chili. Tonight I am going to try the chili I made and froze pre-op. It is made with ground turkey. It was so good when I made it...hope I can eat it tonight and enjoy it.  If no problems tonight I am going to make spaghetti for hubby with the ground turkey and I will try just the sauce. I have been very cautious myself until this week. I may be pushing it but will find out. Hopefully you will be much luckier this time around. I had hoped that I would not have problems with beef from the few bites I had last week....but if I can eat seafood and chicken with no trouble I will be happy. What about pork, does it usually cause problems like beef? I have developed a real problem with my left leg...actually it has been there since surgery but I was not sure what it was. Apparently a nerve was damaged during surgery and my whole left thigh, all the way around is numb but occasionally I have searing, burning  pain in it. It hurts just to have fabric touch it.  It should get back to normal soon I hope....It is aggravating to say the least. Otherwise I think one day I will get my energy back and be grateful I did this ;-) Gena

Sandra C.
on 5/11/08 12:36 am - Phoenix, AZ
Gena..I am so sorry to hear about your leg. after having abdominal surgery you're "not supposed to have leg pain!" How on earth? You've really had a time! Good luck with that! You make me thankful that I don't have any extra side effects. I think I finally have my strength back. Not all the way, but enough to go to work. I went back last week and it was OK. I didn't get paid for my time off because it was a new job, and I was worried about running out of money. God has been good to me though. I got a nice stimulus IRS deposited Friday and the hospital sent me back almost all of the money they wanted down. A friend told me not to get too excited about that, because she got a check mailed back to her after her WLS and then she got a bill from  the DR's assistant or (something like that) and a phone call from them, saying that they were supposed to get that money. She told them, sorry but I spent it. Anyway, it is good to be feeling good enough to be back to work. As for eating pork, no it never gave me any trouble. I could eat bacon, ham or a pork roast (favorite New Years food- pork and saurkraut.) Beef was the only problem meat. Thanks for the tip on the Hormel chicken and gravy. I am going to try it. Ray and I get our Mexican food from a little hole in the wall drive thru on Greenway and 32nd St called Los Betos. I can't eat the delicious tacos anymore, but their refried beans are so smooth and creamy, they go down real easy. HIs family from CA came to visit a couple weeks ago and we took them there. They went back 2 times in 3 days! That's how good this place is. And cheap.  Well I better stop here. I sure can ramble on, can't I. Since today is Mother's Day and my girlfriend and I don't have any kids in town to take us out, we are taking ourselves out for breakfast. Have a wonderful day and again, I hope that leg feels better!!
Most Active