Open revision of Gastric BYpass to DS

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/08 6:37 am - AZ
Hi Everyone, I was wondering is there a different diet that you do when you have a revison from a gastric bypass to DS? How long to you stay in the hospital for  open DS ?  I have read that when you have a DS you can eat more, is that true ? I am looking for a dietician in the west valley or phx area. Does anyone know of some ?  Thanks, Dawn
Lady Lithia
on 5/9/08 11:44 am
Hey Dawn The best place to get information about the DS is on the DS forum here at OH or at www.duodenalswitch.com (I think that is the link, but it might be dot-org or dot-net)...  From what I understand, the risks associated with revision surgery are much higher than those with the original surgery, especially if it is open. One of the problems, that I've heard of, in the type of revision you are contemplating is that the pyloric valve (little valve at the bottom of the original tummy) can atrophy through disuse, and so some people get revised to a DS, but find that their new banana shaped tummy won't process food the way it should in a normal DS that is a person's first weight loss surgery.  In addition to what I have said above, I believe that the diet is in some ways similar, and in some ways different. If your stomach and pyloric valve work efficiently, once they have healed, you'll be able to eat larger-than-RNY size meals, but smaller than un-altered tummies. You'll have to make sure to have a higher-fat diet since so much fat is malabsorbed, and get in your calcium, and other supplements, particularly fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E, and K. It's still protein first, but more protein than RNY since a significantly higher proportion of protein is malabsorbed. If you are a carb-aholic, you might find that the DS doesn't change too much for you, since you will still absorb just as much carbs as ever before. If you don't like proteins and fatty foods, you also might find yourself in some difficulties, because that is what I believe is the solid foundation of DS meals. (good fats always being recommended).  What I have to say about the DS is only just what I've read here from my own investigations before choosing RNY. Again, get the REAL story from people who have had the DS. A few of those who have had DS and who hang out on Obesity Help are full of incredible knowledge and are truly some of the nastiest and meanest people I've met in virtual reality. Don't let them turn you off the surgery if it's right for you, and don't let them turn you ON to the surgery if it's wrong for you. I have heard it said that duodenalswitch.com is a more well-rounded and more sound source of informatoin and comaraderie, but I haven't had the DS and could not tell you.  Whatever you do, good luck with your choices and your surgery!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/08 12:08 pm, edited 5/11/08 3:56 pm - AZ
Lady Lithia, Thank you for you advice. I know the risks are higher for a open DS person but I can not keep going on this way. I am a carb-aholic. I need a more restrictive surgery. I try to loose weight and I just regain it. I am being treated for hypothyroidism and that does not help me out one bit. I like proteins and fatty foods. I hate veggies and don't eat that at all. I would rather eat proteins any day than eat a veggie. Maybe that is a plus for me. Thanks for helping. Dawn
Lady Lithia
on 5/9/08 3:53 pm
Just remember that DS is no cure for carboholism... and in general from what I've heard, those who indulge in high-carb diets after the DS tend to be the ones with the highest .... "stool problems"... as in very gassy and smelly after carb indulgence.  IN truth the DS is "less restrictive" in that you can eat more food in a single sitting, it is more malabsorptive, with fats and proteins. If your carb intake results in a caloric intake above your caloric usage in a day, you'll still gain weight.  Have you considered trying to get to the source of the carboholism and tackle that rather than looking for a new surgical solution? I'm just asking. I hope you don't feel attacked or anything. I'm new enough out from my RNY that it's really really easy for me to "preach" but I haven't been to where many get, lost so much and no more, slowly regaining, stuff like that. So I can't say I fully understand where you are at.  I truly hope you find your solution, and that it works for you.

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/08 5:06 pm - AZ
I think why I eat alot of carbs is because I am in so much pain from my fibromyalagia and my severe osteoarthris. I can barley walk this past winter and pain was killing me. I feel carbs is a way for me smother the pain buy getting the high from like candy. Like smothering anger. I just got diagnosed with NIDDM yesterday. I am starting to take these shots in my stomach and one side is nausea and headaches. Your suppose to give a shot 1 hour before you eat a meal. after the 1 hour I am so sick to my stomach I can't even eat. I have to call the doctor on Monday about this. If I if do do these shots, I will never want eat. I never had dumping with my RNY-X. I can't eat any red meats at all like steak or prime rib. If I do try to eat them I am sick for 3 days with nausea and vomiting and can't keep water down. I get dehydrated real quick. So I never eat meat like that. I really like other proteins and if I have to get rid of the carbs they will be gone. I want to live and be pain free of the hell I have been living in. I like your comments and I am not mad. Everything people say I can learn from. If carbs give you gas I won't be eating that stuff. I will be going to a new therapist on Monday. I know what makes me eat bad food and I must stop it. Thats why I need support and ways how deal with my issues. Keep in touch. Dawn
Lady Lithia
on 5/10/08 7:16 am
Dawn, it sounds like you have a firm handle on your own motivations, trials, and tribulations, and that's great to hear. I worry about some people (not you!) who seem to not understand the surgery they've gotten or the surgery they want. But I also see people "attacking" those individuals and their choices, and that never works well either! All that results is bad feelings and "my surgery is better than your surgery" inanity! So if I see someone I worry about (and I did, about you, before you shared more of your story and showed how you have a real handle on everything), I try to be diplomatic, kind, caring, and helpful, yet not blindly encouraging without any thought of the repercussions.  I've heard of others for whom beef is evil after RNY, even one or two years out, and I feel bad/sad for them. For me it appears that milk and yoghurt are out (but not all dairy products). I seem to dump on milk, as well as having become lactose intolerant. But I don't miss it. I like how you said "I really like other proteins"... that's a very positive attitude. So no beef, *shrug*, there are other great proteins to be had. I don't miss milk too much. I used to like it, but I hate how it makes me feel, so it's hard to continue "missing" it.  Good luck with your new therapist. And you might check out the Dr. that JR suggested... she seems to be having some great success with her hybrid-revision! :)

JRinAZ
on 5/10/08 12:53 am - Layton, UT
 Hi there Dawn, Are you having your revision with Dr. Schlesinger?   He's the leading Revision doc!!!!  His office # is 480.419.2280  If so, he'll give you directions on your food program.  I'm a HALF & HALF.  Top is still Rny (pouch) and bottom is DS or actually even more aggressive than most DS.  It's officially called an Extended Rny (ERny) I have a 50 cm common channel so no matter what amount of food goes through my system, I continue to lose weight!  Who'd of ever thunk something crazy like that could happen to me????   I'm Below goal and still going!  ......   Let me know if you want some Revision chatter!  You can reach me at work at 480.991.6877  Revisions Rock!  Whoever said we can only have ONE crack at the gold are not true Olympians! Keep us posted!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/08 1:20 pm - AZ
Joyce, I will keep you posted on whats going on with me. I feel so happy to meet you today. I will call you this week . I am going to call DR Schlesinger asap on Monday am. Here is my # also 623.362.8310
ginau
on 5/11/08 2:56 am - mesa, AZ
Dawn  I just had my revision with Dr Schlesinger on Wed , I will tell you I have the extended that Joyce mentioned, I was in the hospital 24 hrs and released to go home , Everyday gets better,  I am enjoying  liquids for the first few weeks , I go back to get my incission checked next week , He also took care of some hernia's and scar tissue  while he was in there .  If you wanna talk give me a holler  480 491-1615
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/08 6:27 am - AZ
I am glad that you are doing good. I am going to see if I can get a appt with your doctor on Monday. Did you have it done by Lap because I can't image going home having a open revision going home in 24 hours. Let me know. Hoe long did it take for your insurance approval ? I have bad abd pain. Sometimes I can't eat because I have no appeite. I know it is my my hernia's. I have 4 large hernia's a few years back and my stomach feel the same way it did than. I have a weird pain that I get that something is caught and twisting. I hope who ever I decide on a sureon can get faster approval my my insurance company because it is starting to get worse. email me back, Dawn
Most Active