catheters?

L. TP
on 5/1/08 7:16 pm
Alrighty folks.   What is the deal with catheters!?  I have never had one but I am very nervous about it.  Scottsdale Bariatric said they keep it in for 24 hours to monitor the urine color etc., I am not feeling warm and fuzzy about this!   ha ha. Please fill me in... Lyns
Gena L.
on 5/1/08 9:10 pm - Sun City, AZ
Hi Lyns, It will likely be put in just before surgery so you will not be awake. After surgery you will not need to get up right away as the catheter will collect your urine. So can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.   Dr J.  did not have one inserted in his patient's and I asked, he said no that he no longer has them inserted. One less thing to juggle while trying to walk the halls. Not to worry if you get one, it will be out before you know it. Gena

iveseenital
on 5/1/08 10:03 pm - AZ

When I had my sugery, I never had a Catheter. I Had the Lap band, and they wanted us moving. That was the first question I asked when I came out of recovery....Do I have a catheter??? When I had my C-Section when I had my son, I wanted to rip it out....I think im sensitive to the tubing or something.

Deanne K.
on 5/2/08 2:23 am - Tucson, AZ
It's really not that bad.  It's nothing to worry about.  They generally take it out the next morning.  I have had surgeries where they didn't use them and sometimes I wish they had as I was awoken in the operatering room and had to go so badly.  They pump all the IV's in and no where for it to go until to come out of the operating room.
azreggie
on 5/2/08 3:28 am - Tucson, AZ
Hey Lyns,  If they do one, you will be asleep when they do it so no worries there.  My doc doesn't do it because the surgery only takes about 45 mins so they don't feel that it's necessary and then they monitered my output by a "hat" in the toilet, that collects the urine. 

Reggie

AzViper
on 5/2/08 4:14 am - AZ
I was told they were going to place one in me if I did not start giving them urine after surgery. Lucky for me that was all I needed to hear... But like others have said if you do get one its placed before surgery and while your asleep.
dramqueen6
on 5/2/08 6:50 am - Glendale, AZ
Okay I dont want to sound stupid at all, but I dont have any clue how these work.. Well I know how they work.. my question is this.. When they get you up and walking tell me they dont have you carying around a bag of pee over your shoulder or anything?  I dont want to be walking around with this.. LOL  Please tell me I dont have to!  Sorry.. But if I dont ask here where would I ask.. LOL

Cindy

*Surgery Scheduled for July 8th!! YAY
ginau
on 5/2/08 7:33 am - mesa, AZ
it's a small price to pay -  just  hide it under your robe !  besides  you will see others doing the same thing ...  just dont allow camera's
L. TP
on 5/2/08 7:53 am
Alright I am with DramaQueen here.  Nothing about this sounds fun or glamourous.  ha ha.  Does it hurt to take it out?  Whats the deal....
ginau
on 5/2/08 11:26 am - mesa, AZ
Lynn  I am the queen  of fear !!! you can be the princess !!  OK?  Seriously - It  dont hurt at all - you will be out then they insert it , when they take it out - they take a syringe - no needle on it an deflate the baloon that holds it in !  a slight pull and you never know it was there - the wierd thing is that when you have it in - you never feel a full bladder and urge to go = you just automaticall go !   beer drinkers like em cause they dont have to run  to john every ten minutes !  ha ha  Also hte good thing is -  you will most likely have all female nurses - very sensative to your needs -- they first shower is awesome !! even if you do need some help !!!  I had an ade named janel - she was great !!!!
Most Active