weight loss stalled

dawnmaher
on 4/24/08 9:27 am - Surprise, AZ
ok getting a little discouraged here.  i am almost 1 month out and have lost 20 lbs.  for the last 5 days i have lost nothing and am still excersising and eating correctly.  i know we will hit stalls but with such a small amount of calories taken in it is so hard to believe that i am not still losing!  i even had a day where i threw up everything i tried to eat and still the scale didnt budge.  any advice? I started out  at 236lbs and now am 216.  thanks for any thoughts you might have.  Dawn
Gena L.
on 4/24/08 10:37 am, edited 4/24/08 10:37 am - Sun City, AZ
Dawn, I am certainly no expert ...yet ;-)  But I often times read that uping fluid intake helps this stall. Don't get down about it as we are too new to this and I often see people stalling at about 3.5 weeks.  I just gained back 4.4 pounds...all fluid and I am thrilled to see it!  Besides, when is the last time you lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks? Gena

ginau
on 4/24/08 12:33 pm - mesa, AZ

Dawn  Hangin there .. Plateau's are normal ! push water and protein - always helped me ! Besides  when was last time you lost 20 lbs in 1 monthand kept it off !!  Way to go girl ! your on a roll !!

dawnmaher
on 4/24/08 2:15 pm - Surprise, AZ
i do think its my protein that is lacking.  i will try to get more!  cant handle the drinks and bars, they make me ill.  i am pleased with the 20 tho.  thanks for the encouragement! 
Sandra C.
on 4/25/08 12:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
Dawn..I know how you feel about the protein drinks and protein bars. I can't handle them either. I was in Albertson's last night looking in the vitamin section hoping there might be something, ANYTHING, that I can take. I tried the "Unjury" chicken flavor powder, but it was weird. I can eat cheese now, so I bought string cheese and that has protein in it and I got some of those soft little Vienna Sausages. But I know that is not enough, so I will keep researching. Let me know if you find anything, please? I can't drink milk so that is out. I certainly don't want to stop losing all of a sudden and I can se why you are frustrated. When I had this surgery 25 years ago, I didn't get any protein advice from the surgeon. He had me on a multivitamin, but that didn't have protein. I did well on the diet, but didn't realize how I was not getting the nutrition. I was young and assumed the vitamins were doing the trick.The reason I am saying this is that I didn't have any major weight stalls till six months out, and that was probably because I was drinking diet soda and not for lack of protein. We didn't much in food instructions back then. Anyway, I hope you start losing again. Maybe because the weather is getting hotter, you are retaining water? Why can't they make a sublingual protein pill that tastes good!!!
dawnmaher
on 4/25/08 1:41 am - Surprise, AZ
Hi Sandra,  i have found some thin sliced deli turkey and ham that has good protein and my tummy likes it ok.  i just have a hard time getting the whole serving in.  i am doing more eggs and cheese than i ever have before but the protein is good and i usually add skim milk to the eggs before scrambling them.  i will have to check out vienna sausages.  i am always on the search at the grocery store too, so i will let you know what i find.  i did lose 1.5 lbs today, yes i got on the scale again lol, so my increase in water and protein yesterday must have helped some!  speaking of retaining water, yesterday my rings felt tighter so that could be a possiblity too.  i also find that now that i am back to work i have a harder time with my water intake throughout the day.  have to work on that.   thanks for the input, huggs, dawn
L. TP
on 4/24/08 12:52 pm
Gena may be right. In my pre op class yesterday they said that these are the reasons very common with stalling early on: 1.)  Body retaining fluid 2.  To little protein They suggesting upping protein and water.  Fiber I think is really hard on your system so don't do that without asking first. Hugs!  You'll have a big spout of loss coming up! Lyns
dawnmaher
on 4/24/08 2:14 pm - Surprise, AZ
hi lyns, i bet it is the protein issue.  i haven't been able to keep any protein drinks down.  tried a protein bar the other day and got sick on that too.  uggg.  i only eat protein for my meals right now.  trying to fill up on just those but still its not enough i dont think.  maybe i have to add another bottle of water to my 4 that i drink now.  each is 16 oz so its just the minimum requirement.  cant wait till tht big spout of loss gets here!  huggs back at ya.  you must be getting anxious!  Dawn
Gena L.
on 4/24/08 2:31 pm - Sun City, AZ
Dawn, our nutritionist told me in the hospital to sprinkle the unflavored on on anything. I add it to my yogurt, SF pudding, cream of wheat...just experiment for texture. So far I have not been able to taste it. Takes longer to get it in but...hey every little bit helps till we are eating better. Also drink several glasses of skim milk aday...protein there also. Gena

dawnmaher
on 4/24/08 2:34 pm - Surprise, AZ
thanks gena, i will give it a try, i do love skim milk so i think i will go have a nice glass right now!  never thought about sprinkling the protein on my meals.  i will try it and see if i can keep it down.  anything to get this scale jumpstarted again.  hope to see you on saturday!  huggs, dawn
Most Active