Vertical Sleeve Gastroectomy

liveinphx
on 4/11/08 4:19 am - Phoenix, AZ
I am interested in exploring having this type of surgery. Does anyone know of any surgeons doing this procedure in Arizona or New Jersey? Has anyone on this forum had the surgery? Is anyone willing to share their experiences? I am probably going to do this self-pay so any info with a ballpark figure of costs and length of hospital stay is appreciated as info about which hospitals in the Phx area the docs work out of. Is this procedure being done in Mexico and if so where in Mexico? Thanks in advance
azreggie
on 4/11/08 5:28 am - Tucson, AZ
I had my lap rny done last friday.  My roomate had the sleeve done, and we have the same doc.  So you might want to look into Dr Villares.  I love Dr Villares,  he's young and good. Hope this helps.

Reggie

liveinphx
on 4/11/08 12:16 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I appreciate the info. Could I impose further and ask about the cost of the procedure.
kat87120
on 4/11/08 9:12 am - Albuquerque, NM
liveinphx, I am currently in the process of having the gastric sleeve.  I am going to Dr. Berger at Flagstaff Medical Center in Flagstaff, AZ.  I know this is not in Phoenix but it is an option for you.  He is EXTREMELY thorough (I did a lot of research for a surgeon as I have a messy health history).  I have gone through a series of test (sleep apnea, upper GI, esophageal motility and psych eval) and meet with the dietician next week.  The tentative date for surgery for me is late April, early May.  Not only is Dr. Berger extremely thorough, his bed side manner is amazing!  His staff is also wonderful!  There is no feeling of being judged or herded like a group of cattle... he runs a very hands on, personal touch office.  Best wishes on your journey! Katherine in New Mexico

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

Av8trx
on 4/11/08 5:31 pm - north-central, AZ
Dr. Chiasson and Dr. Burpee in Tucson both do VSGs (and have done many of them), and Dr. Schlesinger in Phoenix does also.  All three are very experienced in both Laparoscopic surgery and bariatric medicine. Self-pay cost is under $20K - Kailolu
whoknew
on 4/12/08 1:17 pm - Chandler, AZ
VSG on 05/09/08 with
I'm scheduled for VSG w/ Dr. Guillermo Alvarez M.D. in Mexico. Cost is 10K doesn't include airfair to San Antonio. You can check out his OH profile and patient reviews: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+p rofile+Guillermo+Alvarez+rrg.html
liveinphx
on 4/15/08 11:42 am - Phoenix, AZ
Good luck failing the sleep study I guess. I am paying ouf of pocket so jumping through co-morbidty hoops is not a problem. Coming up with 15K on the other hand is a challange. Given what I have researched Mexico is looking like a more viable option though I would likely opt for Juarez due to having friends in El Paso and a place to stay there etc. If you would not mind I would be interested in knowing what your experience was with the surgery process.
aboymom
on 4/15/08 9:02 am
I do see the Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center charges $11,900 which does not include the psych consult, surgeon feels, assistant fees, anesthesiologist fees, radiologist fees, pre op testing, extended hospitalstay and other hospital testing. I didn't write the exact number down from my consult with Dr. Villares in Phoenix but I am remembering it to be in the $17,000-$18.000 neighborhood.  That was the total cost posted in his office. That is probably the Banner fee plus everyone else. Oh and I think to plan about 23 hours in the hospital per these papers I have from Banner.  I am still pre-op so I can't speak from experience!  Hopefully I fail my sleep study and get the co-morbidity I am hoping for.
Rachel B.
on 4/17/08 1:39 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with
My mother and I too are going to Eagle Pass Texas for surgery with Dr. Alvarez.  If you haven't been on the VSG boards, I would check them out.  I'm an RN, and I work part time in a plastic surgery office.  I can honestly say that Dr. Alvarez holds his OR to a high standard of sterility than my doctor.  That's actually what made me decide to hire him. The fact that every person who has been cared for by him, loves him.  The fact that his statistics for infection and complications are nil.  The fact that he's never lost a patient.  The fact that he is the 2nd most experienced VSG surgeon in North America performing well over 500 VSG procedures to date.  Well, those are all icing on the cake, so to speak. Its a $10K pricetag if you fly to San Antonio.  They will pick you up and transport you the two hours one-way to Eagle Pass and set you up in the hotel.  The next morning you are taken across the border to an older, yet very clean, hospital.  Dr. A's OR is state of the art, and their are 4 newly remodeled patient rooms for bariatric patients (computer with internet, free international calling, flat panel TV, and nurses who have time to care for you).  If you drive down, and spend a couple extra days afterwards recovering, you can take your time and drive back to El Paso and spend time with your friends, and the surgery is $200 less. Most of all, his staff love their jobs, and they all care deeply for their patients. I wish you the best of luck in your search!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Heather G.
on 4/19/08 5:04 am - Avondale, AZ

Hi liveinphx, I had the VSG procedure with Dr. Villares on May 21, 2007 and am very happy with my results.  I am almost one year out and have lost 85 pounds. I have lost more slowly that others, but I will reach my goal slowly but surely.  My goal is to lose 40-45 more pounds and then have plastic surgery.  I was a self pay and the cost "out the door" was slightly less than $20,000.  My insurance covered some of the pre-op and post-op testing such as the upper GI and the radiology/ist bills.  I had no complications and was out the day after surgery by 2pm.  Take a look at the VSG boards-lots of good info-- If you have any questions, please feel free to email me-There is also a support group at Banner Good Sam. every Tuesday (6:30-8pm)-A great place to gather info and support from other pre and post-oper's!!--I am taking classes now, so am unable to make it lately, but plan to go this Tuesday-I highly recommend going!!

Most Active