Easing off of pain meds?

azreggie
on 4/9/08 9:59 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks Lyns, I hope your writing all this down.

Reggie

dawnmaher
on 4/8/08 3:10 pm - Surprise, AZ
Like Julie, I stopped the medication after about 3 days.  I used it to sleep a couple times.  The taste and the weird dreams made me want to get off as soon as possible.  Now I take Tylenol if I need to help sleep or feel sore from doing to much.  I was given a refill on the first bottle, but i havent even finished that one yet.  I am thinking of throwing it away!  Dawn
Gena L.
on 4/8/08 7:31 pm, edited 4/8/08 7:31 pm - Sun City, AZ
I woke this morning having dreamed that I bought many, many intriquite hand stitching patterns in the state of MI.....had no clue once I woke up what they were or how to make them, but my CQ friends in England were very pleased with me for buying them, LOL!  Later this afternoon I woke dreaming about tuna fish so it does case weird dreams  Gena

dawnmaher
on 4/9/08 3:58 am - Surprise, AZ
I have enough strange dreams without the help of pain medication.  Altho sometimes they can be quite entertaining lol.  Dawn
dramqueen6
on 4/9/08 5:15 am - Glendale, AZ
Going along the same topic.. How much pain are you in after the surgery and for how long?  I am trying to physc my mind for what i have coming ahead.. LOL 

Cindy

*Surgery Scheduled for July 8th!! YAY
Gena L.
on 4/9/08 5:51 am - Sun City, AZ
 I knew that as the scopes are advanved into the abdominal openings that air was put into the area to provide better visiualization for the surgeon//gastroenterologist. Unfortunately that air going in is retained and the body has to either expell it rectally, by belching or actually absorbs some of it.  That seems to be what happened in my case. Last night I became more and more comfortable tho I admit I used 1 Dulcolax suppository.  This may be more than you want to know but...I had one very tiny stool and at that point the gas began moving around and seems to have been absorbed. It was delightful to sleep on my sidelast night  as my back was very tired from sleeping flat on my back for almost 1 week..  When you have gas for a period of a day to several days you do get tender internally. The more tender you get....the more you guard yourself when moving, when walking...which in turn only causes you to retain the gas even more. Each person is different. Some nights I could stand very straight and walk faster and the gas would disappear for a time. Other times it was painful and did not accomplish much. The old medical standard "on a scale of 1 - 10...rate your pain".  Mine was likely never more than 4 but that still hurt...enough to justify meds for it. I think this whole process would resolve within less than a week. Tomorrow is my 1 week from surgery.  This I can tell you. I had an vertical c-section and years later a abdominal hysterectomy following the c-section line. This is no where as painful. as either of those surgeries were.

dawnmaher
on 4/9/08 10:32 am - Surprise, AZ
Hi Cindy,  for me it is hard to describe it as "pain"  more like discomfort when trying to move around or get in and out of bed.  lying in bed, using pain meds, i was pretty comfy.  it certainly was not stabbing or searing pain like i thought it might be.  i was lucky to not have gas pain tho.  i did find that i tended to sleep in one position for too long and that would cause some muscle soreness in other areas of my body, but that disapears rapidly.  all in all its not bad.  good luck to you! you will do fine.  dont worry bout the "pain".  Dawn
iveseenital
on 4/9/08 5:51 am, edited 4/9/08 1:25 pm - AZ
I had my surgery Thursday, and I was on the meds till Sunday. I havent had to take anything for pain, just f******ylacon, and Dulcolox.
Most Active