Calling state employees who had surgery at Scottsdale Shea

beckipoohbear
on 4/7/08 6:42 am - AZ
If any state employees have had the surgery at Scottsdale Shea I have a question for you.  I just got a call from the hospital saying they got approval for my hospital stay, which yay! However, the said I had 10% coinsurance for the cost of the room.  Now I know under our plan the insurance will pay the hospital 90% of the cost of a private room if there are no semi-private rooms available and that Scottsdale Shea only offers private rooms on the bariatric floor.  Now I assumed that the hospital would write off the 10% remaining, not that we would be charged it like coinsurance.  So...what have your experiences been, did you have to pay 10% for the room and if so how much was it, or did the hospital write it off?
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

JUS4TRA
on 4/7/08 6:47 am
Hey beckipoohbear i justed recived that same call about co pay-ment my not a state employee but i belive you are still responseable for you coisurance. I also belive that it is not just for the room but the whole procedre that is being done.

beckipoohbear
on 4/7/08 7:31 am - AZ
No if I have to pay it at all it would only be for the room, my insurance pays 100% of the surgery and hospital costs (except the private room).  I have no copays and no deductible and I'm not on a 90/10 plan or anything, really, it's great insurance its just that paying anything for the room took me by surprise.  As far as I understand the only problem w/ my insurance is that facility doesn't offer semi-private rooms, so they will pay for the private room but only for 90% of it. The hospital must be doing their insurance calls today Rebecca

Deanne K.
on 4/7/08 12:39 pm - Tucson, AZ
I'm a state employee and never hear that.  I had my surgery 3 years ago, so I don't know if it's different.  What state plan do you have?  Have you called the insurance company and ask them?
westvalley
on 4/7/08 12:55 pm - Glendale, AZ
I am not how state insurance works but with "regular" like Cigna if only private room are available they should code it as such. I would call the hospital and ask billing and also your insurance companis. You are not choosing a private room, that's all that available to you. When I paid claims we looked for specific codes if a private room was being billed. HTH Julie
***HUGS***
}i{ Julie
L. TP
on 4/7/08 2:09 pm, edited 4/7/08 2:10 pm
I think we have talked before.  I am state insurance schaller anderson.  They are paying 100% of everything.  I think if there are no semi private rooms available then they will pay for the private.  I am going to Dr. Blackstone also. You know what, I am going to call first thing in the morning to get to the bottom of this!  I will let you know.  They did not call me today.  Hmmmm.  What did they tell you that price was going to be ????  Lynsey
Nicole W.
on 4/7/08 4:05 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
When I had my Gastric Bypass surgery I didn't have to pay anything of my bill... but my insurance co-pays changed in 2007 and I had to pay the 10% for when my gallbladder came out and I had to pay $438 for my hospital stay for that surgery.   ~Nicole

TinkerBell

beckipoohbear
on 4/8/08 1:59 am - AZ
Oh I called the insurance company yesterday and let's just say that the girl I talked to was not the brightest bulb in the box and she didn't have a clue what I was asking.  The lady from the hospital did say she would make a note that my insurance company would only pay 90% as the contracted rate but who knows whether that will result in me being billed or not.  I mean if I end up having to pay, it is worth it to get my health back and it will not be a great amount.  I'm just not sure I should have to pay.  Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Rebecca

Most Active