9 months out from RNY

Desertflower
on 4/4/08 3:32 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hello there Gang! Just an update on my progress.  I had my RYN surgery with Dr. Blackstone in July, 2007 and I am currently down 90 lbs.  There have been a few challenges along the way, but I feel better overall, then I have in so many years.  I have started cleaning out my closet and donating clothes to charity. There are days when my "head hunger" wants to play games with me...but I try to stay on track with my supplements, protein and water intake. Nine months ago, I never thought that I would wake up and be able to feel my hip bones...or be able to take a shower and wrap a normal towel around my wet body.  Probably sounds silly, but these are things that I am grateful for every day. I do feel re-born and blessed with an abundant future. I hope that all is well with all of you. Robin
L. TP
on 4/5/08 4:16 am
I hope I can post this exact same post 9 months out from mine!  You go girl.
Desertflower
on 4/7/08 4:06 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hey, thanks for the note.  Believe me, you will be writing about your progress too.  At first I thought I was losing too slow...I wanted to be thin...FAST!  But I realized that it was all going to work out according to plan so long as i followed my new routine...and it has. How many pounds do you want to lose?  Who is your surgeon? Take care.   :-)
quiltz
on 4/5/08 5:18 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Like you, I'm 9 mos. out and had the same surgeon.  What an amazing 9 months this has been.  My closet is approaching empty because nothing fits.  I buy inexpensive clothes because I know they won't fit for long.  Finding those long lost bones is amazing!  Seeing parts of my body I had forgotten even existed still is a heady experience.  I'm with you on the head hunger.  That is something I work at sometimes daily, but now I recognize it for what it is.  I fear gaining weight again, but I know I have only to follow those basics and the chances of a re-gain are not high.  The compliments are fun, but nothing beats the feeling of fitting into the driver's seat in the car without making 30 different adjustments, walking without getting out of breath after 3 minutes, crossing my legs and being surprised 15 minutes later to suddenly realize I had done it,  going to a movie and not obsessing for hours beforehand knowing the seats would be too small, getting on an airplane without having to have a seatbelt extension, not seeing my "seat mates" grimace when they realize my seat on the airplane was next to them, being in a picture and not wanting to hide behind everyone so nobody could see how fat I was....and the list goes on!  Congratulations to you.  Life is good!!!!
Desertflower
on 4/6/08 7:24 am - Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the reply.  It is such a good feeling to wake up each morning and realize this has not been a dream.  I feel so blessed to have been given this second chance at life.  I do worry because I have screwed up so many times in the past and regainedd weight I thought would be gone forever...on my "this is the last diet" program.  Maybe it is good to be vigilant and worry just a little.  It keeps me watchful and on track better. Like you, I find myself shopping for inexpensive clothes because I am going down so fast.  Right now I am at my target weight (for Dr. Blackstone) but I would like to lose another 8 pounds or so. How are you doing with your daily vitamins?  Some days it is a challenge to get them all in for me. Take care.  Yes...life is good!!!
justcuz
on 4/7/08 1:00 am - Maricopa, AZ

I'm only 8 months out but I echo what you said, it's the little things that you took for granted in the past that you "rediscover". I'm amazed every time I get in my truck at the growing gap between me and my steering wheel. I spent years rubbing it and now see that 6 in gap and just smile.   :-) 

------------
                     laughter is the key to life     

Desertflower
on 4/7/08 4:02 pm - Mesa, AZ

At eight months out you are seeing some remarkable changes in your body.  It will be fun for you to go shopping for clothes and feeling lost bones and facial features...(smile)  Why is it that people always notice our faces first...(grin)???   I am so happy and grateful.  I get to dress up whenever I want to, and feel like a girl again. A funny thing happened when I did some blood work a couple of weeks ago.  The tech told me I had "beautiful" veins...!!!!  Ha-ha!!!   When I was 90 pounds heavier, no one could EVER find my veins.  I would get poked 6 or 7 times before they could start an IV.  The nurses just didn't want to tell me it was because I was so FAT!!!!!  (smirk) Oh well, the stories we can tell.

L. TP
on 4/7/08 4:41 pm
I have Dr. Blackstone.  I am 260 now and want to be anything below 150, even 149 ha ha.  So about 110-115 pounds. 
Desertflower
on 4/7/08 6:20 pm - Mesa, AZ
Yes...I had Dr. Blackstone.  She and her staff are excellent.  I was 234 and wanted to be under 150 also.  I am only 5'4", so it feel comfortable to be at this weight for me.
Most Active