Biotin

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 4/1/08 2:54 am - Tucson, AZ
This probably isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that this question has been ask.  How long does a post-op have to take Biotin?  Is it forever?
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

dawnmaher
on 4/1/08 3:13 am - Surprise, AZ
i am 4 days post op and not taking biotin.  what is it for?
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 4/1/08 3:25 am - Tucson, AZ
Helps with hair loss.  I am post-op Lap RNY of 19 months.  I started taking it prior to surgery and am still taking it.
Example 1   

Nicole W.
on 4/1/08 4:04 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Becky, I stopped taking it around 10 months when my hair started to fill back in.  I didn't find it helped me at all.  I just have the normal day to day hair loss in the shower and when styling my hair.  Nothing like it used to be. Hope all is well! ~Nicole

TinkerBell

Gena L.
on 4/1/08 4:09 am, edited 4/1/08 4:09 am - Sun City, AZ
I am an old hairdresser in one of my other lives. I do not believe Biotin helps hair regrowth as hair (and nails) are made up of dead protein. People swear it makes their hair grow back. Most people loose hair after surgery. It is the trauma to the body and the anesthesia that makes it fall out and it is eventually going to grow back biotin or not...just my humble opinion but with every surgery I have ever had there is always that period of temporay hair loss and then it fills back in. There is some biotin in most multivits anyway. Gena

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 4/1/08 5:14 am - Tucson, AZ
Thank  you Nicole and Gena for your comments.  I just saw the hairdresser and she said my hair was very healthy and not much was falling out anymore.  I do take a multi-vitamin everyday, so I think I will save money and not buy the Biotin.
Example 1   

westvalley
on 4/1/08 10:07 am - Glendale, AZ
I took it before surgery and it did nothing for my hair but my nails look really nice!. I think it works for some and not for others. Good Luck
***HUGS***
}i{ Julie
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 4/1/08 10:47 am - Tucson, AZ

Julie

You just had surgery.  I had my surgery in Sep 06 and my hair didn't start coming out until about 4 months post-op.  From all the responses I have gotten I think I am going to stop taking it for awhile and see what happens.

Example 1   

Deanne K.
on 4/1/08 12:30 pm - Tucson, AZ
Becky, It's probably ok for you to stop.  I think I stopped at about a year.  It isn't going to hurt you either way as long as you are taking your multi's.
JRinAZ
on 4/1/08 2:48 pm - Layton, UT
My hubby and I have been on Biotin twice a day for over 5 years.  We both have regrown very healthy heads of hair and with my recent surgery.....hair is once again sparse!  ......  Biotin is part of my 2 handfuls of vites forever! *******************************************  Biotin helps in the synthesis of fatty acids, in energy metabolism, and in the synthesis of amino acids and glucose. Biotin is used for the breakdown and utilization by the body of food and is part of the B vitamin complex. Biotin serves as an essential coenzyme for four carboxylase enzymes, each of which is important in metabolism. Biotin is an important vitamin for helping certain enzymes in the body. Enzymes are natural substances that speed up chemical reactions. Biotin promotes normal health of sweat glands, bone marrow, male gonads, blood cells, nerve tissue, skin, hair. In the body, biotin is found in low concentrations in the brain, liver and muscle tissue. Biotin is utilized to synthesize intracellular carboxylase enzymes and is essential for normal skin and hair growth.  No side effects have been reported for biotin in amounts up to 10 milligrams a day. Like other water soluble B-vitamins, excess biotin is excreted in the urine. Even when taken in high doses (2,500 mcg to treat hair and nail problems), there are no known side effects. In people without disorders of biotin metabolism, doses of up to 5 mg/day for two years were not associated with adverse effects.  ********************************* Of all the supplements, I think Biotin is the least expensive.  $5.00 for 1,000 at Wal Mart. .......just a personal decision for us.......I certainly don't think it's one of the big critical vites like a B Complex, or C......But...I like HAIR! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active