Blood sugar changes after surgery?

Cassi J.
on 4/3/08 6:04 pm - AZ
I'm sorry this is too late for you to read before surgery, but maybe it'll still be useful after surgery... This was my experience...your mileage may vary.  I was on Avandia pre-op, 8 mg per day.  At two weeks that was cut down to 4 mg.  Then at two months I told my PCP that I wanted to try going off of it altogether, since my fasting blood sugars were lookin' pretty happy.  Six weeks later I had an HbA1C and it was 5.8% (frame of reference: normal is <6%, diabetic goal is <7%).  At this point I had only lost about 30 pounds, so it can't be just the weight loss.  These days my blood sugars (no meds) continue to be totally within normal ranges.  The hormonal effects on blood sugar was part of the reason I chose RNY over lap-band (which was my initial inclination).  Funny thing is, my blood sugar problems went away at exactly the same weight at which they started.  Cool, huh!  That may be just coincidence.  Who knows.  I'm not exactly a double blind controlled experiment.   I hope you're recovering well.  Take care of yourself, and walk, walk, walk; sip, sip, sip!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Most Active