Blood sugar changes after surgery?

Gena L.
on 3/31/08 3:18 pm, edited 3/31/08 9:41 pm - Sun City, AZ

Ladies and gentlemen...I am having RNY surgery on April 3rd. .I am very curious    about the changes in blood sugar levels  that seem to come very quickly right after the RNY surgery. I have heard that it is due to a hormone change that takes place when the stomach actually cut? I must admit that sounds more like an urban legand than truth and supposedly that that is also what causes the "no hunger" sensation  directly after surgery?   I  have to assume the change is brought about the much smaller amount of food consumed after surgery and that everything is sugar free at that point..  But why would someone suddenly after surgery become hypoglycemic to the point of needing meds to control that reaction?  I hate having BS rebounds and and hope that I will not have to experience them anymore Would appreciate any imput on this. Thank you. 

ginau
on 3/31/08 10:37 pm - mesa, AZ
Gena  Not all people are alike, you may be on meds for a while still  or may drop off quick , Either way  make sure to test daily and call results into your primary - so they have a clue whats going on , also be prepared to to decrease meds - you might want to keep a pill cutter on hand ?  Remember your body goes into shock  ( all internal organs ) including the pancrease. and they can rebound - Jus be prepared for change
dawnmaher
on 4/1/08 2:38 am - Surprise, AZ
Gena,  while i was in the hospital they tested my sugar several times a day.  once it was 195 and they gave me insulin for the first time in my life.  after that it stayed under 150 which was their goal with just avandia.  therefore when i left i was able to cut out my glyburide completely.  i have taken my sugars at home since and i am in the low 120's most of the time on just the avandia.  i have no idea what the body goes through at surgery to accomplish this but it is exciting.  i dont have to go to have more blood work for 3 months, so i am assuming that anything my levels do between now and then wont be detrimental.  what ever happens i am sure that your diabetes will improve greatly.  they are very concerned about it post op in the hospital so we have to trust they know what they are doing.  Dawn
Gena L.
on 4/1/08 3:57 am - Sun City, AZ
Thanks Dawn....yes when in the hospital they give insulin anytime it is high like that.  It is a silly thing to fret over but I decided this morning not to worry about it.  I am curious what I read about the stomach cut and releasing of hormones. Anyway I am going to forget about it and let them do the worrying.  I took Avandia for a while but it made my feet and ankles swell so that I could barely walk.  My PCP is going to follow my diabetes very carefully so I will leave it up to the doctors....I would like to leave the hospital without my Vasotec....I do not have high blood pressure, I was put on it simply to protect my kidneys from the diabetes....will be nice to give up these meds. Hope you are feeling even better today?  Is Frank a good nurse?  LOL! Thank you!

dawnmaher
on 4/1/08 5:56 am - Surprise, AZ
I am curious also about the hormone release after the surgery.  Let me know what you find out.  Glad you are feeling better about it all today.  I know it is so much to think about.  I am feeling so much better today.  Best day yet and Frank and I went out for a walk in the wonderful sunshine.  I did great!  Just had some cream of wheat with milk and brown sugar splenda for lunch and i have to say it was quite yummy.  Frank is a very good nurse.  Now if he were a better housekeeper I would be all set lol.  He does try but you know how men can be :)  not quite up to our standards lol. 
Gena L.
on 4/1/08 8:01 am - Sun City, AZ
Well that is great!  ;-) I will be glad when this is over and my mind IS at rest! It amazes me how well you all feel so maybe there is something to this hormone story.  I love Cream of Wheat....may have that for dinner tonight, LOL! It is a pretty day to be out walking.   I guess it is too late to teach either of them to be a housekeeper at this point but Jim is very good at taking me out to eat. Oh! But Wait.....I guess it will be a while before we do that again though     What are you having for dinner?  I am going to mop the kitchen floor and then go have a Lithia and Julie have been quiet the last two days.  Remember....sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk Hugs, Gena girl friend!

dawnmaher
on 4/1/08 9:19 am - Surprise, AZ
i had cream of wheat for lunch lol pretty tasty.  not sure yet about supper.  so many choices you know lol.  dawn
westvalley
on 4/1/08 10:04 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Gena! My blood sugar was low after surgery I poke myself four times a day now which I didn't have to do before surgery. I was told that it's a temporary thing and my levels should return to normal by the time my pre-op appt rolls around. So we will see. There was no clear reson why they just said it happens sometimes. Two more days! Bowel prep tomorrow huh?! Good Luck LOL
***HUGS***
}i{ Julie
20candy07
on 4/1/08 11:18 am - Tolleson, AZ
I was insulin dependent -  2 injections a day since 2003.  Right after surgery my blood levels were still high and I was still injecting myself.  It took  a few months for them to stablize.  The last few months, I'm 5 and 1/2 months post op, I haven't had to take anymore injections!!!  Yahoo......!!!  Thank goodness!!  My blood glucose levels stay around 85.  My pouch must still be very small.    We are all different.  I wonder what the time frame is until I can say I am not a diabetic??   Best wishes on your upcoming surgery and a  speedy recovery!  I like Dr. J.  He doesn't say too much....  Hate the bowel prep!!  Best regards, Candy
Deanne K.
on 4/1/08 12:40 pm - Tucson, AZ
It all has to do with insulin resistance and how your pancreas reacts to the surgery.  I am no hypoglycemic and now have to watch blood sugars.  Some of my problem is now mechanical with the surgery.  Just keep an eye on them.  If they start to get low after the surgery don't hesitate to call the Dr.'s office.  They will help you.
Most Active