BCBS of Az

L. TP
on 3/26/08 3:10 am, edited 3/26/08 3:15 am
I have a friend starting the process.  Obviously I told her to call her insurance but does anyone know how much BCBS of Az typically covers?   The insurance is through her husband that works at a hospital. Also, does anyone know if they require the 6 months? I will take any helpful information you have on BCBS of ARIZONA.  :) Thanks guys!
Panda1
on 3/26/08 3:17 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I looked into havng Blue Cross of AZ cover my surgery. They would only cover it if you had been under a Dr. care and seeing a Dietitian for 6 months. I decided not to wait the 6 months. Who knows how out of control I would be by then? I had my lap band almost 1 month ago, incidently by Robin Blackstone MD. Going for the first fill Friday, a little nervous, but I hope it will be ok.  Good luck!
Cynthia Johnson
on 3/28/08 1:51 am
Hello, have your friend look for the website on the back of her BCBS card.  Register on the site go under benefits and pull down under Bariatric surgery the criteria.  Have her read it slowly there is a lot of info and it's detailed.  All the best
Lady Lithia
on 3/28/08 10:38 am
I think that a lot of different policies have different qualifications. But I have BCBS of AZ and some of my qualifications are:  * 6 month supervised diet  * 3 years worth of records of doctor-supervised dieting attempts  * Doctor documented evidence of co-morbids for those three years * 5 years of continuous records showing that you are BMI > 40  * Psych Eval (including MMPI)  * 2 independent doctor's recommendation that you are a good candidate for this surgery, these docs cannot be associated with one another or with your surgeon * blood workup * 18 years old at least The six month supervised diet was simply a case of my visiting with my doctor, discussing attempts to diet, him offering me pharmaceutical solutions and I accept/decline. With six continuous months of records it was great. I never saw a dietician. I showed no efforts at a gym The three year's worth of doctor supervised dieting attempts was a problem for me. I had records for 2007 when I first applied for the surgery, but no other years. My doctor assured me he had records of our dieting discussions in 2006. After our visit on Jan 4, 2008 I had records for 2008 I didn't have 5 years of evidence of my BMI > 40... I was missing one year due to not seeing a doctor that year. Even though my BMI was 45 - 60 on all other years, and the eight years prior to the missing year, they said that wasn't enough. My Jan. 4 visit made for five year's documented effort.  My first application was turned down for lacks in the three issues above. They did not tell me for the first three that I needed the six month supervised diet. After I did the six month supervised diet and submitted the record of that, they approved me in approx. 4 business hours.  Remember, every policy can be different. Also I've heard rumours that as of January they ditched the 6 month supervised diet. Having gone through it, I really think it's a good plan. I know that what I did during that six months really made a difference to my readiness for this surgery.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Jenn B.
on 3/29/08 3:35 pm - Tempe, AZ
I too am a BCBS patient.  I started the process last October, but was called in December by Dr. Blackstones office and informed that as of 2008 they no longer required the 6 month program (I was in month 4). What they do require: - proof of obesity for 5 years (I provided a proof of weigh in from my PCP from one apt over the last 5 years). - Letter of neccessity from at LEAST PCP (I provided I think 4 letters) - Documentation of past weight lost attempts I think that was it.  Best of luck!
Most Active