Plastic Surgery - Silicone Gel Sheets For Scars?

Mikkilynn
on 3/24/08 12:19 am - Mesa, AZ
Hello All - I'm having plastic surgery in two weeks , brachioplasty (arm lift) and mastopexy (breast lift) , so I've been doing a lot of research on reducing scars. I want the visibility of the scars as minimal as possible, especially on my arms as others will be able to see them easily.  According to my research online, silicone gel sheets seems to have the best reviews. While others seem to have good results from the silicone gel topical ointment. I'm wondering if anyone has used either of these products and can give me some feedback. Or if you have used another product that worked on reducing the appearance of scars.  Joyce - Sorry I missed you again. I had my pre-op appointment last Friday. My surgery is schedued for Monday, April 7th at 10:30am. Will you be working that day? I would really love to finally meet you in person.    By the way, Dr Gitt is as wonderful as you said! Take care, Michelle

*Malena* M.
on 3/25/08 3:36 am - Phoenix, AZ
Good luck with your surgery!  I had brachioplasty last June with Dr. Gitt.  My scars are pretty thick and are still a bit tender.  You can always tell when I am cold because they turn purple :)  I used aloe and mederma on them.  Not sure if it really helped at all.  I would be interested to know if the silicone gel sheets work.

329 (pre-op) 167 (4-22-10) 150 (lowest and goal Summer 07) 
Wife to Russ and Mommy to Elizabeth "Libby"

Lilypie - (mr7x) 
Lilypie - (FJkW) 
Mikkilynn
on 3/25/08 4:42 am - Mesa, AZ
I'm a little worried about the scars on my arms. I hear that they take a long time to heal and are quite painful at first. I'm concerned about being able to wear sleeveless or cap sleeve shirts this summer. Will the scars be too bad for this?

I'm torn between using the silicone gel sheets or trying the kelo-cote gel ointment on my scars. I read that applying vitamin E and using the silicone sheets had the best results in clinical trials in reducing the appearance of the scars. However, the sheets are quite expensive and I have to take that into account.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Michelle

soon2bnewme
on 3/25/08 6:51 am - Chandler, AZ
When I had my hysterectomy six years ago and my other surgeries all I used was vitamin E.  I opened them up and rubbed it on there daily.  I can hardly see my scars today.  I'm scheduled for a hernia repair and TT on May 15th so I plan on doing the same thing.  Good luck! Renee'

"Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody else expects of you, never excuse yourself." Henry Ward Beecher  
314/282/156.4/135 (Heaviest/Pre-Op/Current/GOAL) 
Total lost since Banded on August 14th, 2006 "-125.6" pounds  
Total lost since 8/05 "-157.6" pounds

JRinAZ
on 3/26/08 2:15 am - Layton, UT
Michelle! Oh my gosh!  I've been swamped and haven't been able to read the boards for a few days!  I am sooooo sorry I missed BOTH of your appointments!  Gheesh!  You're one of my peeps and I usually am there to roll out the red carpet for my WLS buds!  I will definitely be there on Monday for your surgery.  Just ask them to round me up and I'll come give you a "good luck hug"!!!!  I am soooo excited for you!  .....  As for scars and how to treat.....Just give Laura or Lauri a call at NVPS.  They'll direct you towards the things that will "really" help! See you soon sweetie pie!  .......  Getting that loose skin trimmed off is like the icing on the cake that has been baking for a long time!!!!  Amazing! C U soon!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active