Hola!

nicoleaz
on 3/18/08 8:37 am - Phoenix, AZ
It's been a long while since I've visited the boards so I thought I'd drop in, say hello, and update some profile info yadda yadda yadda. I will have my year post-op appointment in a couple weeks and I just can't believe it's already been a year! I'm down 135lbs with 30 to go and I feel terrific. No issues, bloodwork has been normal, and I'm experiencing the slow in weight-loss that I was told would occur as my goal weight neared. The honeymoon is definitely over as I can tolerate just about everything and eat larger quantities now. Gone are the days of having no appetite and working with a limited diet - today it's a daily challenge to make sound food choices and eat appropriate quantities. While reflecting on the differences in my lifestyle today versus a year ago, I realized I spent way too long in an unhealthy state and really missed out on a lot! What I miss: The guilty pleasure you feel in gorging on a huge meal The way I could eat in social situations just like everyone else...snacking, grazing, etc. Drinking with my meals What I don't miss: The high blood pressure, cholesterol, and insulin resistence Being over 300 pounds Not being able to....cross my legs, sit comfortably in a booth, ride roller coasters, climb a flight of stairs without getting winded, just to name a few Being limited in where I could shop for clothes Feeling guilty about eating Eating out of boredom Feeling out of control with my health Hearing comments such as "You have such a beautiful face, if you only lost some weight." Not being asked out/flirted with Having to buy sized 12W shoes that were rarely cute The list goes on... But clearly...this is the best thing I've ever done for myself. It's still hard to find clothes that fit perfectly and I have loose skin around my tummy and upper, inner thighs, but I wouldn't trade these problems for my old ones ever!! There are tons of new faces 'round these here parts! How's everyone doin'? Nicole 335/199/170 Start/Current/Goal
JRinAZ
on 3/18/08 11:53 am - Layton, UT
Nicole!  Welcome back and CONGRATS to you pretty girlfriend!!!!   You have done a fantastic job with your WL journey!    ....  Don't be having soooo much fun with your new healthy life that you forget us for an entire year again!   LOSER'S Rock!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

nicoleaz
on 3/19/08 5:40 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you!! A girlfriend of mine recently had the lapband procedure with Dr. Blackstone and she's joined the OH family so I'll definitely be spending more time here. I hope to make it to the Spring Fling this year! Losers really DO rock!
Cassi J.
on 3/18/08 1:08 pm - AZ
Wow!  You've had an amazing journey!  You look awesome!  It's hard to imagine what one year out will feel like...
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

nicoleaz
on 3/19/08 5:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
The year has seriously flown by. There were days that I wished I hadn't had WLS (the few days I didn't chew food well enough ) but I don't even remember them now. It's all a blur of pants that became too big, compliments from friends and family, watching the scale go down down down, and saying goodbye to medication not needed anymore. The best part about being a year out is being able to eat a larger variety of foods and knowing what agrees with me and what doesn't. It makes life so much easier on me - dealing with social situations in particular. My family is 1/2 Jewish and 1/2 Italian and food is almost ALWAYS the thing that brings us together, so feeling more in control and having choices makes all the difference. It also helps that I can shop at a normal store and be comfortable in a size 14. Lord, I haven't worn this size in YEARS! It's hard to imagine, yes, but imagine an easier, more energetic life rich with more self-confidence and laughter and you'll have an idea! You go through a stage where you mourn the food and you feel guilt about having let yourself go so long the way you were (at least I did) but it's easy to get over it when so many other things in your life are awesome! I still struggle with some things, but being a loser never felt this great! How are things going for you so far?
Cassi J.
on 3/19/08 6:17 am - AZ
It's been awesome, actually.  I've been one of the lucky ones who hasn't had any complications.  I've been able to eat just about anything except fried food, which doesn't sit well with me.  The only difference has been that I eat less! How awesome is that!  I am very anal about measuring portions and tracking my protein/carbs/calories, that helps me stay within the guidelines.  My weight loss has been slow, but steady.
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Most Active