Puked a turd?! (Warning - gross!)

jschlechty
on 3/12/08 6:56 am - Mesa, AZ

Since last Saturday I had been having problems with foods that had normally been ok for me coming back up.  Was unable to keep most anything down - water, crystal light, food, etc.  I continued on that way knowing that I had an appointment with Dr. Juarez on Tuesday.  When I met with him, I explained my situation, and told him that I was able to keep water and protein drinks down if I took the in very tiny sips.  He said it sounded like "Strictures" and said to go back on liquids for a week to give the pouch, etc., time to heal back up.

Well, last night I was in the living room and had just tried to drink some water.  I went into some violent vomiting heaves, and out comes something that looked like a small turd!  I kid you not!  It was about 2 inches long, and a little bigger around than my thumb, and seemed to be composed of something gray and slimy.  After it came up, I immediately felt better, and was able to drink water, etc. with no gagging feeling, etc.

I had recently tried adding Benefiber chewable tablets to my diet to help with constipation.  Could this have been what was plugging me up? Any other ideas? Anybody else had this sort of experience?  It is definelty not soemthing that I would care to repeat. . .

JRinAZ
on 3/12/08 8:09 am - Layton, UT
That's disgusting!  ......  So glad you didn't have to suffer anylonger with your alien friend!  .....  Are you sure it didn't multiply while in there? Chew.....chew.....chew!!!!   I'll bet another few days of protein drinks will help heal the area and give you some energy to get past your horrifying ordeal
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ShielaC.
on 3/12/08 11:38 am
I'd bag it and take it in to show the doctor. Maybe he can figure out what caused it. Yuck!
M. clarke
on 3/12/08 3:14 pm
OMG! That sounds like something my cat pukes up. Of course she is grey and licks her own fur. I had a stricture for several months after my surgery and never had that experience. I hope the worst has passed for you, and you don't have anymore scary experiences like that. If your doctor is suspecting a stricture is he at least ordering a test to have it checked out?? Keep on your doctor to get it checked out. The fix for a stricture is so easy, in and out, and you will feel so much better after it is done.
Deanne K.
on 3/13/08 1:37 am - Tucson, AZ
I was told by my surgeon that Fiber tablets, capsules can get stuck in your stoma and sometimes they expand and block the outlet and have to be surgically removed.  Glad to hear that you won't have to have surgery for it.  Keep an eye on what you can and cannot eat, drink etc, but stay away from fiber tables.
jschlechty
on 3/13/08 2:46 am - Mesa, AZ

Dr. Juarez had said that if the week on liquids didn't clear it up, then they would do an endoscopy (sp?) and stretch the stoma out some.  Luckily it looks like that won't be necessary.

Right now I'm stopping the Bebefiber tablets to make sure that they weren't the cause of this.  I'm not sure I'd want to start thema gain later on to find out, 'cuz I definitely don't want this to happen again.

Yes, I thought it looked like a hairball or something along those lines too!  But since I don't sit around licking my fur, and you can see from my avatar that I don't have much hair to begin with, I quickly ruled that out as a possible cause. :)

Most Active