PHSYC EVAL

dramqueen6
on 3/6/08 3:06 am - Glendale, AZ

Hi Everyone!!  Thank you to everyone who has answered all of my endless questions,, I dont know what I would do without all of you.. I recieved a call from my nurse assigned to me through UHC and she said she sent in the referal for the PHYSC eval and that they will be calling me within the next couple days to schedule it..

What should I expect at this physc eval?  What do they ask you?  How long is it? Is there such a thing as wrong answers?  I really dont know what to expect.. And I read about people having to do this more than once.. With SB do I have to do it only once? 

Thanks everyone!

azreggie
on 3/7/08 3:30 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Cindy, I was worried every step of the way.  I went to my physc and met with him, and he had me come back and take a 400 question test.  There are no wrong answers.  I think they are just checking to see that you can conform to the aftercare routine, exercise, nutritien, etc. I was afraid when I went ot the cardiologist, egd, and blood tests.  I think it's that we have tried and failed so many times with diets that don't work, that we are so afraid that this isn't going to work either.  I know that no one can tell you not to worry, you will, but try not to worry too much. I'm scheduled for April 4th, and soooooo excited I can hardly stand it.  I never thought it would happen. It's happening.  And I can't wait for my turn.

Reggie

dawnmaher
on 3/7/08 4:52 am - Surprise, AZ
Hi Cindy, I had my phyc eval with Barbara Maxwell at Bridges.  It was 3 written test, no wrong answers and took a couple hours at most to complete.  Then I met with her a week later to go over my results and her recommendations.  She wants me to go through behavior modification with the phyc of my choosing and I have already had one appt.  I will go weekly for as long as I need to to get to the bottom of my eating issues and to help guarentee my success post op.  I am very grateful for the opportunity to have this "brain surgery".  If you are required to do it also, be happy that it is available and most likely covered by your insurance because of it importance to your surgery.  I am.   Good luck, don't worry if you can, this is part of the good stuff! Dawn
beckipoohbear
on 3/7/08 6:29 am - AZ
I did my psych eval as part of my initial appointment to Dr. Blackstone's office and I just went ahead and used Dr. Buddy Messer who is right there to do the evaluations for Dr. Blackstone.  It did cost me $315 for the eval and testing but my insurance wasn't going to pay for that portion anyway and I figured it was easier to get it all done at once.  That is the only out of pocket cost I will have for this whole shebang.  He was very nice and very easy to talk to.  I met with him and talked for about 45 minutes (stuff like family, support, eating habits, any psychological issues like depression, etc.).  I really liked that it was more of a conversation than an interrogation, he has a really nice style.  Then I had to do 2 personality tests which should have taken an hour to an hour and a half but I am a fast reader so they took me only about 30 minutes.  Apparently, I passed because I didn't have to have any follow up counseling and I didn't have to go back to review my results of the tests with him.  Overall, great experience! Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

dramqueen6
on 3/11/08 5:27 am - Glendale, AZ
Thank you guys very much this helps a lot.. I have a different doctor i am going to for the physc eval.  I just hope they dont go" yeah you need much more help then we can provide".. LOL  Just kidding.. I am so excited that literally with every step made further I am more excited.. Its like walking on the ladder one step at a time, i can see the top and i am treasuring every step.. This board has been a life saver for me.. Everyone is so helpful and so quick to answer my questions.. Without you guys this would be so much harder.. I appreciate everyone's help more then i can say.  :)
Most Active