Hair loss

maxaz1
on 2/28/08 1:47 am - Scottsdale, AZ

Hi- I expected it and I'm right on schedule for it. But, DANG! I had very thin hair in front on top, in the first place, and now it's so bad I am self consious. Scalp shows lots!  Thin and bald..... Did anyone resort to extensions (I don't want long hair - just fuller on top), wigs, wefts, hairpieces?  I need something not too expensive because I expect it's temporary - the hair I lost as a result of surgery should come back eventually (and because I don't have spare cash lying around)

Any info would be helpful, suggestions, insights into this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maxine

Deanne K.
on 2/28/08 3:09 am - Tucson, AZ
Maxine, Make sure you are getting enough protein, Biotin and try Nixon shampoo.  I used them all and it helped.  Everyone is different you will have to see what happens.
maxaz1
on 2/28/08 3:46 am - Scottsdale, AZ
thanks. I do all those things - it's no worse than anyone else's loss, I am sure. It's just because it was so thin to start with.
ginau
on 2/28/08 9:30 am - mesa, AZ
Sunny's wigs in Mesa or Phx has a nice  choice of wigs and  hats , I have one on in this photo , 18 mo later and my hir is getting much better, I also advocate lots of B vitamins  and Biotin , protein  too .  Hair is a small price to pay  for the weight loss !! at least in my book ....
20candy07
on 2/28/08 10:24 am - Tolleson, AZ
Hi Gina, Are the wigs hot?  I saw a wig shop in the Superstition Mall next to Sears I thought I would visit next time I am there if I get up the nerve.  Where can I purchase Nixon Shampoo? Thanks, Candy
Gena L.
on 2/28/08 7:03 pm - Sun City, AZ
This is my humble opinion ;-)  The name of the shampoo is...actually

Nioxin.  You can usually buy it in a salon or beauty supply. It is quite spendy and I (former hairdresser in another life) do not believe it will  help for hair loss after surgery. The hair loss is brought on by the trauma of surgery and this loss accompanies nearly all surgeries.. It is also caused by anesthesia.  Nioxin was devleoped for people with serious scalp and hair problems, not simple hair loss. Hair and nails are made up of protein. Biotin does not make hair grow. It might make it shiner and possibly less dry. Take in extra protein, a bit more than you would anyway. Treat your hair well, especially if you have chemically processed hair. The climate here is very hard on chemically processed hair. There is just not enough moisture in our climate in AZ. Wash with a good gentle cleansing shampoo (NOT Baby Shampoo.) Nexus, Redken, etc...Treat it about 1x - 2x  monthly to a warm oil treatment (Alberto VO-5 is available in drug and grocery stores and if possible place a clear cap over the hair and sit in the sun to keep the oil warm. There are many good moisturizers and conditioners...one being an oldie but goodie deep treatment called Cholesterol, found at beauty supply stores. One tried and true shampoo is to wash with egg yolks and to condition with mayonaise or Salad Dressing like Miracle Whip.... There are all kinds of good things in them, oil, eggs, etc, etc. Your hair will grow back no matter what you do...but you can make it healthier and shinier. Again apply a clear cap to cover the mayonaise, etc....for 20-30 minutes, holding in the warmth of your scalp makes the treatment penetrate deeper. Also when you rinse after shampooing, turn the temperature of the water down a bit so it is just cool and then rinse well.  Rinsing with a bit of cider vinegar helps make hair more managble. The acid locks down the cuticle on the hair shaft making hair shinier and more managable. Good luck!

Lady Lithia
on 2/29/08 11:13 pm
What I'm always curious about is that there seems to be two "minds" to the cause of hair loss... some people say it is lack of protein, othes say it is the anaesthetic, and still others say it is a combination of both.  I've found that about 3 months or so after I've had "protein deprivation" (got so sick I couldn't eat).. I have a *LITTLE* extra hair loss. You know, maybe twice average amount of hair lost over a week or two.... which is not a big deal by anyone's standards.  I have also had three major surgical procedures and have never had any appreciable lessening of my hair due to the anaesthetic... or at least if I did, I didn't notice it.  My mother had at least six different type of chemo drugs, possibly three times that amount over a three year period. She never lost her hair.  So... is it protein or anaesthetic? Am I just blessed with good "hair genes" that means aside from a little extra loss, I won't notice it?  My hair grows up to two inches a month, so I'm not too phazed... if it starts to fall out i clumps I can get it cut short and in a year or three it will be long again.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

maxaz1
on 2/29/08 2:03 am - Scottsdale, AZ
thank you to everyone for your insight and suggestions.  Ironic isn't it? My hair used to be the only thin thing about me!!!!!!!
Deanne K.
on 2/29/08 2:58 am - Tucson, AZ
Actually Nioxin is also used for Chemo patients.  Some patients do not lose all their hair.
Most Active