What ?'s do you wish you asked before surgery

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/08 6:14 am
I meet with my surgeon soon and already have insurance approval.  I have so many questions already but I know I have probably missed some major one's.  I am looking for  those questions you wished you had asked,or situations that surprised you during this process, that you wished someone had told you about ahead of time.  Example, hair loss. Thanks, Melissa
Candi Y.
on 2/27/08 7:16 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Melissa, Be prepared for HEAD HUNGER, not sure which surgery your getting but with either RNY or the band you will deal with your MIND telling you your hungry when your really not.  I still deal with that, its almost as bad as it was quitting smoking after 23years.....  Otherwise I had done alot of research and was mentally prepared....  Ohhh   THINK POSITIVE, I am a big beleiver and going in with a good positive attitude will help you!!!!!  GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Deanne K.
on 2/27/08 8:27 am - Tucson, AZ
I wish I had know more about the drugs you can/cannot take with the surgery.
SKennedy13
on 2/27/08 11:38 am - Queen Creek, AZ
Lap Band on 05/02/07 with
I do not know what surgery you are interested in but I would have asked what happens when my band is full. Sometimes it take a person 1 year or two years and sometime a person will never get a full band. I was full at 6 months. I also would ask what to expect in the way of nutritional support and meal planning from the clinic you are going too.
Nicole W.
on 2/27/08 2:40 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
I asked questions about my recovery, hospital stay and pain level. I also asked and my surgeon got a kick out of... when can I sleep on my stomach again?  I am a stomach sleeper.  :) ~Nicole

TinkerBell

ginau
on 2/28/08 9:35 am - mesa, AZ
I would ask about how much intestine they plan to remove ? If you have been overweight the vast majority of your life .. You may ask to remove more for greater  weight loss , ask the differance between proximinal, distal and extended - He will know what your asking .
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/08 12:12 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I definetly would have greatly researched the whole malabsorbtion part of the surgery. Also research the consenquences of going defiencent on water,iron,and b12.
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/08 11:12 am

Thanks everyone for the great questions and topics to research.  I appreciate all your help. Melissa

dawnmaher
on 3/3/08 11:43 am - Surprise, AZ
I just met with Dr. Fang last Tuesday.  He was very nice and asked lots of questions himself.  I did go in with a list of questions and he covered those first.  Now I have more questions and hope to get a chance to ask those on my pre-op day.  My surgery was scheduled for march 24, just found out today!  i am very excited.  I think you will like him alot.  Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 3/4/08 4:02 pm - AZ
On February 27, 2008 at 2:14 PM Pacific Time, mschiro wrote:
I meet with my surgeon soon and already have insurance approval.  I have so many questions already but I know I have probably missed some major one's.  I am looking for  those questions you wished you had asked,or situations that surprised you during this process, that you wished someone had told you about ahead of time.  Example, hair loss. Thanks, Melissa
I know this is going to sound crazy but the one issue I was not prepared for was for WLS to work.  In looking back I think I felt as though this wouldn't work either.  So when it did not work I could just have the band removed and sit back saying I tried everything. With that said, I don't think anyone can prepare you for actually losing weight.  It takes time to wrap your brain around the whole thing. I don't know what procedure you are looking at but I will tell you that if I had it to do over again I would not get a band.  Oh, it's worked and it worked well.  I was able to achieve my goals but I think the journey would have been easier with a sleeve over a band.  Maybe if I thought it would work I would have rethought my options. ;o) My blog is kinda devoted to newbies, maybe it will help.  It's not geared for banding as much as newbies to WLS. Good luck to you and congrats on making a great decision to get your life back!
Most Active