How long did you stay? Particularly SBC

Jenn B.
on 3/19/08 1:22 pm - Tempe, AZ
I was a band patient, but like everyone else has stated it really does depend on how your body takes to it.  I was in my room probably at 3pm on Thursday (13th of March) and leaving the hospital at 9am on Friday (the 14th of March) morning.  I really had no complications as my body responded well to the proceedure.  The one thing I can reccomend to you is to get up as soon as your ready too.  I was up and walking (even just to the restroom) within an hour and half of getting into my room.   I also opted for the pain medicine Toridal over Morriphine.  I've had Torridal in the past and responded very well to it, which made my decission easy. The entire staff truly is amazing.  The only thing- don't plan on getting a whole lot of sleep.  They came in at 2am to get my vitals, 4 am to draw blood, and then at 6 am it was time to get up and go get weighed (totally what I wanted to do at 6am :-) ).  In regards to my time in "Pre-Op" it wasn't to bad.  Dr. Blackstone was running ahead of schedule so as soon as I got to the hospital they had me back in Pre-Op.  The gowns they give you are great, as they hook into a personal heater if your cold!  Dr. Blackstone was there to great me in Pre-Op to answer questions, and then came back prior to surgery twice, once to check on me, and again to let me know we were ready and answer any last minute questions my mom and fiance had.  She let my parents know as soon as i was out of surgery, and I vaguely remember her checking on me in recovery.  She was also in first thing Friday morning to let me know I was being discharged and to again answer any questions.  The staff is very knowledgeable as well.  My first nurse, Amy, was actually a bypass patient herself, so she truly knew exactly what was going on, on both sides of the spectrum.  Oh... and a word to the wise, the chicken broth is nasty =)
westvalley
on 3/20/08 12:20 am - Glendale, AZ
Thanks Jenn! The information set me at ease. Glad to hear the Dr B is so involved. I wasn't sure what to expect since I had only met her at my pre-op appt. I hope to be an Amy one day...if I can get past my nursing pre-reqs :-D. Everyone on here has been so helpful and it's really helping to put me at ease as I am starting to get nervous.
***HUGS***
}i{ Julie
Most Active