Please help!

Megs515
on 2/20/08 2:22 pm - Phoenix, AZ
So, I'm almost 3 months post-op and I am STILL having trouble getting all of my protein in. I can't STAND protein drinks. I just about throw up everytime I drink one. Does anyone know of anything that I can do to get more protein in so I don't lose sight of my "window?"  Also, has anyone heard of UNjury (not sure how to spell it)? I know it is unflavored but sometimes even unflavored ones still have a taste...BLECH!  Please help!!!!! Thanks, Megan
Av8trx
on 2/20/08 4:21 pm - north-central, AZ
Megan, Being a vegetarian, I've used protein supplements for a long time. I'm not as sensitive to the flavoring as the texture/consistency.  Some of the newer products dissolve more completely, so I've gotten a bit pickier.  The best tasting powdered product I've had so far is Protein Ultimate, by SEI Pharmaceuticals.   It is also marketed as Maximum Protein.  A gal in the TUCWLS group (in tucson) buys it in bulk, and you can order it from her much cheaper than you can get it online.  She is putting a website up:  www.greatprotein.com A close second runner up to that, which can be found at Hi-Health is the powdered Isopure.  I've only tried the chocolate, but hear that the strawberry is good also.  I mix it with a bit of decaf instant coffee and add ice for my morning iced mocha.   What I like about those two products is that both are micro-filtered protein so there isn't any graininess - and they don't have thickeners added. Hope that helps, - Kailolu
Megs515
on 2/21/08 1:47 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks so much for the tip about the iced mocha...I never would have though of that...I have a whey based chocolate protein that I got from Costco..It isn't too terrible....I can atleast keep it down. I've had the bottled Isopures and the only one that I like is the Peach Mango...But, drinking those everyday can get pretty expensive.. Thanks so much for the tips. I'll check out that website!
NewHealthyStyle
on 10/30/09 6:21 am

Hi Av8trx,

I couldn't agree with you more. I originally tried the Ultimate protein at  my girlfriends house and  it  rocked! 
Great choice!

I was also introduced to the website theworldaccordingtoeggface.com , (which also has a link back  to OH) to get more great recipes and food combination choices and I noticed they have posted the Max protein, which is also Ultimate protein like you said on their website for tasting really good. So I knew I wasn't wrong.
ginau
on 2/20/08 8:44 pm - mesa, AZ
what kind have you tried ???
Megs515
on 2/21/08 1:49 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I've had almost all of the bottled Isopures that you can get from hi-health. I've tried Nectary (YUCK!!!).... I've got a chocolate one from Costco....and something called a protein bullet...
westvalley
on 2/21/08 9:06 am - Glendale, AZ
Hey Megan! Have you tried Profect or New Whey? I haven't had them either BUT they come in 2.9oz bottles and have 25 grams of protein. I would rather drink of small thing of nasty protein than a large bottle or shake. I am hoping it's not gross but that's my plan for after surgery. You could do two of those and then have eat your other protein. I have also been told that Unjury is decent but I haven't had that either so I guess I am just relaying the message third party. I just went to my pre-op education class and these are some of the suggestion given. HTH
***HUGS***
}i{ Julie
Megs515
on 2/21/08 1:49 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Julie!!!
Gena L.
on 2/21/08 5:22 pm - Sun City, AZ
You can go to the Unjury site and order samples and they come quite quickly. I have the Unjury Chocolate and Vanilla and I think both are good. You can get samples of the unflavored and also the chicken broth one that most people seem to like. EAS makes a powdered protein shake and you can get it at Wal-Mart, Target and Costco. I used the chocolate several years ago and liked it. I am going to try mixing Unjury unflavored in Raspberry Crystal Lite. There is also Vitalady and they have samples of nectars. Both places have been very helpfull to me. Good luck to you.

irmarcie
on 2/21/08 5:30 pm - Sun City, AZ
I understand your problem only too well....I am 2 1/2 yrs postop...and still struggle to get all my protein in!   I have used and currently still use Unjury. I think their chicken soup flavor is okay mixed with ho****er, not as good as Campbells, but manageable...and their chocolate is okay, and I use the unflavored in pudding snack packs...I didn't notice any taste in the unflavored pudding, to me the problem with the Unjury is the texture, it doesn't always dissolve completely. I really like the Protica, but Unjury is more cost effective as I need 3 supplements a day. Both Unjury and Protica I order from the websites..... Marcie
Most Active