Excited but a little apprehensive

suzyq584
on 1/24/08 1:39 pm
Hi everyone, I just came from a seminar at Dr. Simpson's office and although my insurance will not cover my lapband, I have pretty much decided to go ahead with the surgery and self pay. While reading your posts, I came across an issue that deeply concerns me and one that I had not thought of....hair loss.  My hair is very thin on top already due to thyroid issues, previous dieting stresses and hormone issues.  It is now at a point that is comfortable and actually looks nice and the thought of losing it all over again is very troublesome! How much hair should I expect to lose?  Should I start taking vitamins now to try to prevent as much loss as possible?  If so, what ones?   Thank you so much in advance for your suggestions and information.  I look forward to being an active poster and getting to know all of you! ~Suzy
ginau
on 1/25/08 1:58 am - mesa, AZ
Suzy  You should not have as much hair loss  as person who has had RNY ,,  Rny'ers  have a more malabsoption  and that  is cause of hair loss - you might have some , make sure to take vitamins and  add some biotin to help.
poohspal
on 1/25/08 8:27 am - AZ
Hi Suzy. I have had the Band since August.  I also have a thyroid problem.  My hair is very thin especially in the sunlight.   this was one of my fears as well,  I started taking Biotin before surgery and still do, and  because of all the protein I take in (65 to 85 grams a day).  My hair is actually thicker and fuller. so I did loose some hair after surgery but not as severe as RNY and its now coming back wonderfully.  its worth the risk I promise.  Good Luck!!
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
suzyq584
on 1/25/08 11:26 pm
Thank you both for your comments.  I plan to go out and get a good multivitamin today as well as Biotin.  I think that I read you can even get it at Walmart?  Thanks again, Suzy
Most Active