Elaine ----Protein Ideas

JRinAZ
on 1/20/08 2:31 am - Layton, UT
Hi all....   Our Elaine needs some protein help.  Please post your favorites and the recipes that might go with making it palatable/yummy!   Here's my suggestions....   Chocolate Matrix:   1 scoop whisked into 2 oz hot tap water to temper......Microwave 2 cups ho****er for 1 minute 25 seconds Whisk in 1 shot of sugar free Toranit chocolate and peppermint or chocolate and caramel syrups.  Add the microwaved water til a full mug (I use a 20 oz mug).  This is my favorite for breakfast and sometimes before bed.   1 scoop chocolate protein power (your choice) whisked into 2 oz of cold tap water. Add to crushed ice in Magic bullet and pulse a second.  I like to add 1 Tbsp light cool whipe. It tastes similar to a Wendy's frosty.   Banana Scream Champion PUre Whey Stack.  One scoop blended in 4 oz of cold tap water.  Poor over 1 large cup of Sonic crushed ice!  Yummmeee!   1 scoop Banana Stack with crushed ice and 3 or 4 frozen strawberries (I sometimes add a shot of sugar free straw syrup too)...Blend in Magic bullet for a shake/smoothee treat!   Tropicana Sugar Free Orangeade (like soda cans).  Whisk in 1 scoop vanilla protein powder for a dreamscicle type flavor.  Add crushed ice and use the Magic bullett for a thicker shake.   There's oodles of recipes on vitalady.com  There are oodles of recipes on Obesityhelp.com   Other proteins that I use:   Any Whey flavorless (I stir into soups, mix with scrambled eggs (before cooking) cream of wheat, etc.   Liquid Protein from Costco (you down 3 oz shots for 20 grams...not particularly tastey but I think of it as downing some Nyquil quickly and get it overwith in a hurry)   Profect and New Whey are liquid protein bullets in 3 oz.  Kind of like the above...You can down it in a hurry.   Unjury is a high quality protein.  Many Bariatric offices use it.  The chicken is good stirred into eggs, potatoes, soups, etc.  They also have a flavorless.  Order on-line   My hubby's favorite is the Nectar Fuzzy Navel.  It tastes like a Sunny D and he just considers it his daily breakfast "juice".   Isopure has ready made.  I"ve never been able to stand the ready made but their powder if very good.   The bottom line is to get a couple of flavors that you generally like and then hunt up recipes to make them delicious.  If you don't want to make protein intake a big deal then go with the 3 oz "shots" to just get it over with and get it in.   I purchase Nectar and Matrix through Jeanna in our support group (thanks Jeanna).  I get my Champion through Nutrition Warehouse.  I order the Profect, Unjury and Isopure on line.  I just Google:  Best price for ________ and get different options.   You can get good quality product from Vitalady.  ProScore is an excellent protein source but it kind of grainy.   As you shop for protein, keep in mind the calorie to protein ratio.  You don't want to take in unnecessary calories through liquid.  A good rule of thumb is about 23 grams of protein per "around" 100 calories a scoop.  Stay with high quality predigested Whey.   I'm hoping other protein experts will jump in and give you some advice here as well.....   Anyone facing any type of surgey should protein load (well over 100 grams per day) prior to surgery and until they are completely healed after surgery.  Then they should follow their docs orders for protein count from that point on (usually no less than 80 grams per day).
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

moirap
on 1/21/08 7:10 am - Mesa, AZ
Under forums they have the cooking and baking forum which has all kinds of recipes for protein balls and such. Check it out I am sure you can find some good info there. Have a great day moira
JRinAZ
on 1/21/08 9:17 am - Layton, UT
Thanks for the tip Moira!  I scanned the cooking and baking forum and the Recipe forum and found all kinds of yummy things to try!  ..... The protein drink recipes on this thread are amazing!  I can't wait to give them a try! http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/recipe/postdetail/2873.html?vc=0 
Joyce 

Bobelaine4
on 1/23/08 6:14 am - Apache Junction, AZ
Thanks Joyce for all the wonderful protein ideas. I am sure they will be very helpful.  I always seem to do the same thing and it is getting old really fast. Now with needed to get up to that 100 gram mark I need to get a bit more creative!! Also when we chated the other day you said I should get a certain medicine, but I can't remember what that was.  Please drop me a line or give me a call when  you have some time. Thanks so much, Elaine
JRinAZ
on 1/23/08 6:18 am - Layton, UT
Elaine, It's called Devrom.  You can google it but it's great for Distal and DS post-ops! I'll take that extra binder to work with me and give it to your hubby when you come in for surgery! Woooooo Hoooooooo!  I'm excited for YOU!!!!  Revisions are awesome opportunities for us to get a GREAT quality of life when the first round didn't do the trick for us for some reason or the other! You'll be a healthy itty bitty thing in just a few weeks!!!!
Joyce 

Most Active