Questions

vickinicole
on 1/16/08 7:18 am - Bryan, TX

Is there a SEARCH button for this forum? I am wanting the laproscopic gastric bypass RNY which my surgeon, Dr. Robin Blackstone, specializes in

i have a few questions for anyone whose had this surgery; did you need a drainage and how long did it stay in? how long will a catheter stay in? how long before you can have sex after the surgery? how long did you stay in the hospital? whats the average time it takes to heal? What's a stricture? Can anyone tell me about their personal complications from laproscopic RNY?

~_~
Vicki
My weight loss blog: www.vickionline.com

AliciaB
on 1/16/08 8:05 am - AZ

Hey there, well I am not an expert but I will give you an overview on what happened with me. I had two drains for the two days I was in the hospital. The catheter came out the day that I left.(no big deal there) Two days is the average for hospital stay, with Dr. Blackstone. I also had her.I would say the average heal time depends on you.... if you do what you are told and follow all the rules. Walking, drinking water till you think you will drown and getting in the right frame of mind. You will need to figure out the sex thing for yourself, that will depend on the pain levels that you have.

You didn't say when you surgery was

Hope this helps

vickinicole
on 1/16/08 12:06 pm - Bryan, TX
hey there, thanks for responding i havent been approved for the surgery yet from my insurance, also haven't had my initial consult yet, that happens on the 28th of this month, i guess I'll have the surgery around June if approved thanks for responding to my questions

~_~
Vicki

MARY OTU
on 1/17/08 12:33 am - PHOENIX, AZ

Hello Vickienicole, Get the to a support group fast! Best way to get all your questions answered. First Monday and 3rd

Wednesday of every month over at Scottsdale Shea Hospital . I went to support groups for 10 months prior to my surgery Oct 4th 2006. I felt very well prepared. I also reccommend Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. On Amazon for good price or any bookstore.

I was back to work part time in 2 weeks. Back to sex about the same time but CAREFULLY! I noticed your posting on cost concerns. Check your insurance very carefully. Also ask Blackstone's office if there are any cost savings or waivers available to you. I did my psyche eval outside with my own Insurance covered, psychologist. You can also ask your PCP and Blackstone’s office about seeing an outside (insurance covered) nutritionist. Blackstone’s office should not dictate to you who your healthcare provider should be. You DO NOT have to use the ones they choose for you. If they give you a hard time about this call Diane or e-mail her. Be insistent. Beg, borrow if you need to. Ask your parents. I know you do not have a lot of support but you can at least ask. Maybe get a student loan to help with school costs so you can divert your income to the surgery. Think outside the box girl! Your friend, Mary

vickinicole
on 1/17/08 12:39 am, edited 1/17/08 12:46 am - Bryan, TX
unfortunately those days will never work for me; I am employed during the day and in school till 10 pm at night Thank you for the questions, I will add them to my list of questions I am taking to my initial consult. My father is deceased, most of my family is not financially well off and have already indicated to me that they don't think i should be getting this surgery AND that they have no sympathy for my financial concerns where this surgery is involved. I have used almost all my student loans and I have concern about being able to fund the rest of my education, let alone the surgery.

~_~
Vicki

Crissy_Moran
on 1/17/08 8:40 am - Fort huachuca, AZ
My surgery went very smooth I was actually released within 24 hrs from my surgery, I had no problems and still have no problems. I hav elost a total of 85 lbs since June 12th of 2007. I lost 35 lbs in the first month, you can email me anytime if you want to know how things have been for me. I am completely pleased with how everything has gone for me. Exercise and what you eat is gonna be very important in how fast and how well you do.
Lori M.
on 1/20/08 12:42 am - Queen Creek, AZ
Hey Vicki, I had lap. RNY with Dr. Blackstone on 10/23.  I had two drains and they came out the day I left the hospital.  I had my surgery Tuesday afternoon and left Thursday mid-day.  They took my catheter out the morning after my surgery.  I remember walking that evening and having the catheter but they took it out before I had to walk Wed. morning.  As long as you are going pee on your own with no problems they don't put it back in.. but I remember them saying that if I hadn't then they would have put it back in.  I was out of work for 4 weeks.  I was ready week 3 but I had 4 weeks to take off for work so I did.  I just recently had a co-worker have the surgery and she came back after a week and half.  She doesn't have too hard of a job so I don't know if that makes a difference.  At my 2 month appointment my incisions were completely healed.. they were probably healed a couple weeks before that.  A stricture is when scar tissue builds up around the entrance of the pouch and the hole sort of closes up.  If you ever find yourself not being able to get food down, and then not even being able to ge****er to stay down.. there's a strong chance you have a stricture.  They don't make it seem like a huge deal.  It's an easy fix from what they describe..  It's an outpatient procedure where they put something down your throat and then blow up a little balloon type thing to open the hole back up.  Everyone heals differently... some people develop more scar tissue than others.  I didn't have a stricture. I didn't really have any complications from my surgery.  In the OR during surgery I became hypertensive and had to be on blood pressure medication for a month or so.  I wasn't on any type of BP medication pre-op but it was always on the higher side.  I have experienced normal up's and down's after surgery.  I have dealt with frothing on one or two occasions.  Other than that nothing too exciting.  Lots of eating ha*****anges, life changes.

Most Active