Trying to Get Prepared

Stephen D.
on 1/3/08 11:45 am - Yuma, AZ
Hello, I have my RNY surgery in less than three weeks and I'm trying to buy the things I need for when I get home from the hospital.  I have read in a number of postings that people needed to sleep in recliners after their surgery.  I don't have one currently, but I am considering purchasing one.  I was wondering if the people who already had their WLS found that being able to sleep in a recliner was an important part of their recovery.  Any opinion on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve
AliciaB
on 1/3/08 11:56 am - AZ

Hey Steve, I am so excited for you, just three weeks to go. As far as sleeping in a recliner: I did because my be is about 35 inches off the ground and I have to crawl into it. But I only slept there for about 5 days. It depends on the comfort of your bed.

I made sure that I had broth, sugar free jello and lots of ice and water. I pushed the water because Dr. Blackstone said that I would heal faster if I drank lots of it. Well if she said it it must be true. I also walked, walked and walked some more. I had my surgery in August and even though it was flippin' hot I went out and walk 20 minutes 4 times a day. Felt like crap and didn't want to but, she said I needed to and well if she said it I did it.

I am excited for you and would love to hear how it goes for you.

Take care, AliciaB                                                                                                                                                                  

M. clarke
on 1/3/08 2:13 pm
Hi Steve, I did sleep in a recliner for the first few nights, but after that I moved to my bed. I just really like my bed when I don't feel well. I wasn't able to sleep a full night in my bed, but I wasn't able to sleep a full night in the recliner either. Truth is your just going to have some discomfort. The recliner just is a little easier to get up and down from. When I slept in my bed I put several pillows, and rolled up extra blankets behind me so that I was sleeping sitting up. Then my boyfriend tucked blankets and pillows around me so that I had as little movement as possible in the bed. This just helped me to be still, and  had less likelyhood of moving around in my sleep and waking myself by turning on my sore side or pulling on my sore side, and I slept longer. You will probably be sore and stiff when you wake, and getting out of bed will be a lot harder when you first wake up. At least it was for me. A heating pad, or ho****er bottle is a huge help also! It helps to keep the muscle warmed up, keeps it from getting to stiff on you, and helps the healing. I pretty much had a heating pad on 24/7. The worst of it will be over after the first week , so consider that before making any big purchase like a recliner unless you want one for more then just the surgery.  Every day post op you will feel 100% better then you did the day before. You will be amazed how fast you feel better once you get home and get up walking and moving around. You must be getting very excited, and nervous I'm sure :) I can't wait to hear about your journey! Please keep us posted!! Oh, You might also think of keeping a note pad, and little cheap clock with an alarm by you. I found it helpful for me. It got kinda hard those first few days tracking your water, protein, walking, medications. It seriously feels like a full time job getting everything in at first. Because it takes FOREVER just to drink a few sips of water. Taking medication and vitamins can be a  chore, and amazing time consuming. My doctor required us to walk every 2 hours, and you will be amazed how quickly two hours comes around. That is why I set the alarm so that time didn't get away from me. That's all I can think of :) Great luck to you Steve! I'm always excited for those just starting on this exciting journey :)
Stephen D.
on 1/4/08 3:10 pm - Yuma, AZ
Thanks for the information.  I can't wait to get the surgery behind me.  I think I'm going to check into renting a recliner just in case I need it.  I want my recovery to go as smooth as possible so i can get exercising and losing weight. Steve
JRinAZ
on 1/5/08 2:30 am - Layton, UT
Hey Steve, I didn't have a recliner after my WLS and wish I'd had one ....but then I had OPEN Rny and needed help out of bed for a couple of days (til I mastered the roll, slide, scoot, stand thing).  I had a very nice recliner after my plastics and after my Revision last week.  I am delighted to have a comfy spot to settle along with my bed.  I have used one of the hospital wedges in my bed each time.  They are awesome.  You can pick one up at any hospital supply place.  A while ago I even saw one at CVS Pharmacy.  But.......lots of pillows packed with talent can get you buy if you'd rather save your money for NEW clothes!  LOL!  You'll have lots and lots of shopping ahead of you so don't drop it all on this side of surgery! Oh Happy Day...........is coming up!  Wooooooooo Hoooooooooo!  Happy Dancing!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

johnb_az
on 1/4/08 8:47 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I am a side/back sleeper and the only way I could sleep was with a half inflated air mattress on the floor.  I woke up every night covered in sweat because of pain and had to take some Percocett or whatever the flavor pain meds they gave me.  I have never been able to sleep on my back, even to this day.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery.
lemarie22
on 1/5/08 1:00 am - Glendale, AZ
I didn't have a recliner and did just fine.  I might have been better prepared than most because I've always done a lot of ab work because of my back and I'd already had several abdominal surgeries so I knew how to get up without  straining my stomach.  I would suggest that you start working your abs now.  I think it helped me recover very quickly. Connie
Most Active