Future Lap_Bander--help please

kimcropable
on 12/30/07 11:18 am - Tempe, AZ

Hello everyone,  My name is Kim, I live in Tempe, I want to have Lap-Band.  I went to one WLS seminar last week and will attent another next week by a different doctor.  The one I went to last week was Dr. Orris and then next week is Dr. Terry Simpson.  I was very impressed with Dr. Orris and he was very nice BUT, then I feel onto Dr. Simpson website.  I like his humor and what I think would be his bedside manner. If anyone has experience with either doctor, I would appriecte some help.  I found a lot of info on Dr. Simpson site that I didn't even hear at the meeting with the other place.  I am sure it would have been cover in the first appt.  But, none-the-less important information in making this life-long change. If you have any advice, I would appreciate it! hugs and hope to be on the losers bench with you soon! I wish this has sp check, so excuse errors.  I have fibro and the evenings are bad for me w/ fibro fog, my brain doesn't work as well. Kim Pervez Tempe, AZ

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/07 10:04 pm - AZ
Dr. Simpson is my doctor so I'm going to favorite him. LOL!

Dr. S is the best. He has always been here for me.
His staff is great !
Dr. S only does Lap Band, he is very educated on what we should do as a bander. If you follow his rules you should have no problems.
He is also here for us 24/7 and stays true to his words. If you email him, he will respond back.
My sister is also a patient of his and loves him as well.
kimcropable
on 12/31/07 4:38 am - Tempe, AZ
Thanks for the info!  I am leaning toward Dr. S.  I have really been impressed with him.  I have also heared that Dr Orris's place always has a long weight and they have a high turn-over rate, I don't know if that was a long time ago and it is better now.   But, I have 4 kids, (all boys) and I really don't want to sit in a doctor office for hours on end (or on my rearend).   I know Dr S is way out in PHX, almost in the Glendale area, so it is a lonnnng drive for me, but if he is the best of the best, then it will be worth the drive.   Can you tell me a little more about the aftercare program of what it like?  What are some of the  no-no's of the band?   What would you have liked to have known before you were banded? Kim Pervez Tempe, AZ
jenniebr
on 12/31/07 10:45 pm - queen creek, AZ
Kim,  Its good to do your research before you make a choice.  I love Dr. Orris! Dr DeBarros was my surgeon (they practice together).  I actually worked there for a while and really know they are wonderful at what they do.  Dr DeBarros has a lapband and speaks not only as a surgeon but as a band patient too.  Dr Orris is very much the "straight shooter", he tells it like it is.  He really is a fun guy under all that medical knowledge!    Look at what each practice offers as far as diet/excersize help, support (attend support meetings too, you can see first hand what others are going thru), follow-up care, fills etc.  ( We are having a Sat Support meeting in Tempe On Jan 12 at 1pm, come if you can make it.) I think you should go to some seminars, then go to a few 1st appts. ( they are usually a free consult), then you can see the office staff and talk with other patients in the waiting room ( you may get more info from waiting patients).   Making a choice to have WLS is never an easy one, to get all your questions answered before is almost impossible but well worth the attempt anyway.  I am still wondering about things after 2 years and I just know that I am healthier and happier in my current healthy state.   If I had to do it over again, I would not change a thing.    Good Luck,
Jen
Banded 12/15/05
At goal-7/14/06
Total Loss-140 pounds
kimcropable
on 1/1/08 3:07 am - Tempe, AZ
Thanks Jen, I really appreciate your info! I have read so much on Terry Simpson, so I am not sure.  I think you bring up a lot of great points that I haven't thought about.  I will try to come on Saturday.  Is the support metting in the office?  Or upstairs where the seminar takes place? Thanks again so much for your help.  I know you understand as you were in my BIG shoes two years ago.  I honeslty beleive that there isn't a wrong deciesion between Dr. Simpson or Dr. Orris.  I was very impresed w/ Dr. O myself.  He was very knowledgeable and very nice/friendly.  I didn't meet Dr. DeBorros yet.  It is close to my house, as I live at ray/rural.   Anyway, if you can let me know about where the meeting is, I would app. it so much! Kim   PS:  Isn't there a spell check on this???  HELP!
jenniebr
on 1/1/08 4:19 am - queen creek, AZ
Kim,  We meet in the same room where the seminars are, 1494 S Mill Ave upstairs in Room 208.  We have a good group going and its mostly lapbanders, but anyone is welcome.  We are getting a walking group together too.  Since you are in Tempe it should be very close for you.  (We are looking at AZ Mills Mall).  Spelling is not my best subject and typing is even worse!  My kids type all the myspace stuff in word then spell check it to paste on their profile, you could try that. Hope to see ya next Sat! Jen
kimcropable
on 1/5/08 4:10 am - Tempe, AZ
Jennifer, I am going to go w/ Dr. Simpson.  My insurance has an excl. against any form of WLS.  Dr. Simpson has some really great deals and I was just really impressed with him and his office.  However, I really did like Dr. Orris also, he was really sweet to me also.  It was a hard choice. I should be getting banded at the end of Feb.  YEAH!  Hope to be on the losers bench w/ you soon! Hugs, Kim
Most Active