im going in 3 weeks nerrvvous and scarred

UnderDog
on 12/30/07 11:50 am
hey is there anyone who just recently got a bypass done and could tell me about the hospital stay, the pain if any, and can they put you out before you go in? i feel you can only get so much out of the class i would like to find someone who just got it done to tell me there experince my date will be  jan 21 08 and i'm shak'n like a leaf.                                           art
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 12/31/07 12:32 am - Tucson, AZ

I didn't have it recently but I did have Dr. J.  I wasn't out when I went into the OR but shortly after that.  All I remember is moving from one bed to another and them strapping my arms down.  Waking up was slow.  I had some shoulder pain from the gas, which is normal.  I was on a morphine drip so pain was minimal.  I walked, but walking was very slow.

I slept a lot in the hospital.  Get as much rest as you can because it will help with healing.  Being nervous is normal.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

M. clarke
on 12/31/07 5:44 am
Art, Being scared is normal :) No one likes surgery, and no one likes pain.  I had a different doctor, but I think the rules are pretty much the same. They keep you medicated pretty well the first 12 - 24 hours post up, and after that they back off the drugs so that you get up and moving to avoid blood clots. I was out before I hit the surgery room. The medication they give you is supposed to make you forget so even if you are still a little bit awake when they roll you in you shouldn't remember it later. Plus, it's really really good stuff they give you so even if you are awake you are really happy and don't care :) At that point you just love everyone and are floating on a happy cloud. As far as the pain, well pain sucks; however, I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone here who will tell you that the weight loss wasn't worth it. How exciting for you! Only three weeks and you will be on your way to a healthier new life!!!!
ginau
on 12/31/07 6:50 am - mesa, AZ
 Underdog !!! mighty Underwood here , ( last name )  I too had surgery with another Dr -  let me tell ya - I would do it again in aheartbeat - I hate needles and shook for hours before . The professionals take good care of you. You will have some pain - weather its the gas pains in your shoulder  or the incission site - its just part of the deal -  Just ask and they will numb you out !!  they give good meds .... Every day it gets better - you start walking  it gets better, you get some food in your tummy  & it gets better. You see the scale drop - it gets better.   Do yourself a favor and dont focus on  what the pain is going to be , Focus on how its going to change your life for the better.  Good Luck  and keep us posted ...   Jeanna  
pwrightt
on 12/31/07 11:17 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Dr. Juarez is great. So you're in good hands. As for the pain it actually wasn't as bad as I thought. You will be so excited that morning that the time will fly by. Before you know it they will have you out. Next thing I remembered was waking up. They will get you walking as soon as possible. I never took my pain medicine when I got home but its there if you need it. Don't hesitate to use it.  It will be so well worth it.  Good luck. You will be fine Pam
flyrep
on 1/2/08 6:17 am - AZ
I had Dr. J myself and love the man. I wasnt put out till I got into the OR. I remember a lot of pain as I woke up, I begged for more pain killer. After I was given it and I had the drip all was okay. I can tell u my c section was harder then my WLS. I asked to stay the 3 days but was ready to go home within 2. I just wanted to make sure everything was okay. The RN's are good, some you have to keep up with though. Use your voice and everything should be good. I walked A LOT while there but did sleep as much as I could. I did take the pain killers, as they did seem to help. I got home and was able to sleep on my right side without much pain.  I freaked myself out right after setting my WLS date. After that I was fine untill they got me into the OR room to put my IV in and wait on the doctor. I cried like a baby. Everything hit me all at once. I remember going into the OR and them moving my to another bed for the WLS. After that I can not recall. Even with the trip to the ER room I would do this all over again. My body has had to get use to this new way of life. I have had stones and hard BM's nothing much more then that. I learned I would never use an IUD again and that eating slow is truely the key. U eat fast you pay faster.  I hope this helps in some way. :)

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

westvalley
on 1/2/08 7:49 am - Glendale, AZ
Ditto Shannon!
***HUGS***
}i{ Julie
Most Active