Hair keeps fallin on my shirt

AliciaB
on 12/22/07 1:55 am - AZ
I am four months post op and now I am losing my hair.  I know this is normal, that it happens to most. Now here is my question??? When will it start to fill in again? I didn't start out with to much so I hope it is soon. Thanks for all the information on this site it has been a great support system/ Alicia
M. clarke
on 12/22/07 6:27 am
Alicia, If your eating good today, and getting in good amounts of protein then you hair should start to fill back in 3-4 months. Typically we are losing 20% of our hair on a normal basis, post surgery we lose 40-50%. Our body in an attempt to reserve protein, shuts down the hairs protein supply. Therefore sending more of it into the death cycle. Once it dies it take 2-4 months to fall out, and then 2 - 4  weeks for new hair to begin growing back in. And I think the growth cycle is 7 years. Don't remember for sure on that one. It's been a long time since I've researched it. There are a lot more scientific terms for the cycles and all of that, but I can't remember them off the top of my head :) 
ginau
on 12/22/07 4:45 pm - mesa, AZ
Randy will tell you it just happens -  your body is sending protein to vital organs and will grow back !  I increased my protein , my B Vitamins  and take Biotin  on a daily basis. Hang in it will grow back , Mine did - I bought a wig this time last year ! was my best investment. 
flyrep
on 12/22/07 5:24 pm - AZ
im going thru the same! More protien.... Let not worry about the hair but our bone marrow.... :) Im sure this faze will end soon.! :)

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

kreyvin38
on 12/22/07 9:01 pm - AZ
I'm losing some hair as well....I've heard that biotin can help anyone use this?

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 12/22/07 10:45 pm - Tucson, AZ
I started taking Biotin 3 months before RNY.  I still lost some hair, but not like some people. 
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

moniqueh
on 12/23/07 4:08 am - chester, VA

Its been almost 4 yrs for me and my hair still comes and goes you just get used to it. I used to eat more protein but now i dont think that it really matters either way. I will gladly loose a few hairs in order to be at my current weight..

20candy07
on 12/23/07 7:59 am - Tolleson, AZ

Oh noooo!!  I have no appetite these days due to stress at work.  I have to force myself to eat something, but, I know it's not enough...I'm starting to feel the results and am getting some dizziness.  I do take my vitamins daily though ...Now I have to worry about my hair that already is thin because of yo-yo dieting most of my life!!.   Candy

ginau
on 12/23/07 11:01 am - mesa, AZ
Heads up ! The hair loss issue is here to stay , you will go thru periods of natural shedding , then you will have periods where it is a Protein Issue ... So keep up on vitamins and check out Biotin  15000 mcg min daily ,    they do help !!!  Brewers yeast will aso help  the new growth come in faster .  Candy - PLease take protein powder and do drinks at work or get some protein bars  , dont let yourself get sick .
M. clarke
on 12/23/07 3:00 pm
Candy I second that! Don't let yourself get sick. You didn't have the surgery go let yourself get stressed and sick. You need to take care of yourself! Not eating and getting dizzy is no way to lose weight. It's not healthy and your body is going to shut down and you are going to get seriously seriously sick. Do what ever you have to do to get your protein drinks and water down.
Most Active