I missed my first Post Op appt!

SisterMadly
on 12/19/07 3:24 am
I have been so danged out of it, I did not even realize that I had lost my day planner until last night.  I found out today, after about 10 phone call attempts,  my post op appt was 2 days ago,  and I totally would have went.  I am so mad at myself.  Now I cannot be seen until January 14th!  That is a long time to wait for my first post op appt!  (My RNY was December 5th) I take the blame, I should have been more with-it.   Snce I have to wait so long, I don't know what to do.  Do I just put myself on purrees after 3 weeks?  What warning signs should I look for?  Anything I should know? I am off pain meds, but I am sore on my upper left and lower left ports when moving from sitting to standing, to sitting to lying down.  My BM's are not very regular, but what is regular for a post op patient?   Thanks, Y'all. Anna
Cassi J.
on 12/29/07 2:39 pm - AZ
I would call the nutritionist and talk to her about moving to soft foods.  You could also talk to the exerise physiologist about exercise.  Honestly, they didn't do much at the post-op visit.  It was basically questions about how you're feeling, how much protein/water you're getting, etc.  He didn't even look at my incisions. Don't sweat it!  Just talk to the nutritionist about transitioning to mushies (I know I was sure eager to eat something semi-solid!).
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

M. clarke
on 12/29/07 3:08 pm
Anna I can't comment on diet as we had different docs and they each have their own. However as far as BM's I think it is common for us to get constipated post surgery so be sure you are getting plenty of water in and that isn't causing you to be unregular. Obviously you aren't going to go like before because your not eating like before. Just pay attention to how you feel and don't allow yourself to get backed up so to speak.  I took senna-c (store brand veggie pill stool softener) post surgery. Many of the people I talked to here took something post surgery just to keep things moving. You could ask your doctor what they recommend. They will probably tell you exercise and water firstly, but after that they should have something they recommend :)
Most Active