I was in Such Pain on Saturday Night - 8.5 Weeks Post Op

20candy07
on 12/17/07 8:17 am - Tolleson, AZ
Hi All, Well, I ate 3 meduim shrimp with ****tail sauce.  I did chewed the heck out of them before I swallowed.  I took the usual half an hour to get them down.  I was in so much pain for 2 hours 15 minutes after I finished my last bite.  It was terrible....!!!  I tried sticking my finger down my throat to make them come up and nothing.  Finally the pain subsided and I felt relief.  I never want to go through that again so I'm staying away from shrimp.  What a waste of top $$ at a nice resturant.   I sooo sick of cottage cheese.....string cheese, all the pureed food stuff!  I have not felt  pain since I had my surgery. Happy Holidays, Candy Joyce, sorry I missed last session.  I had to work at 5AM the next day.  I will see you all at the next meeting in January...
M. clarke
on 12/17/07 9:46 am
Candy.Your story sounds like some of what I went through post surgery.  I was under the impression it was normal for it to take an hour to eat just a few shrimp. It really isn't. It could have also been the spices the restaurant used, or the way the cooked them. 8 weeks post your pouch could still be sensitive. It could also be this stomach bug going around. Everyone I know how has had it has basically said the same thing.. terrible stomach pain :) However if you can only eat pureed food, and soft cheeses I would be concerned at 8 weeks. Unless of course that is what your doctor has ordered. But if your allowed to eat other stuff, and can't. I would ask your doctor about a stricture, or voice your concerns to him at least. You can have a partial stricture also which will allow some foods like soft cottage cheese to slide down easily, but harder foods like shrimp to get stuck and be painful.  Have you had much throwing up??? Typically with a stricture you tend to get sick.. a lot. But everyone is different. Hopefully it was just a fleuk and you will be good from here on out :)
Nicole W.
on 12/17/07 11:16 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Around Christmas time last year, I went to a Christmas party and brought Shrimp ****tail with me, thinking that I would be able to eat it.  Well, I ate two and it quickly came back up.  I think the horseradish in the ****tail sauce was the problem, also the acidity in the Ketchup is not good for your pouch this early on. Try some egg salad with low fat mayo or tuna fish.   Dr. Blackstone has a strict plan for the first 4 months, so I understand of the boring diet, especially around the holiday's.  Being a new post-op around the holiday season, sucks... but so far this Christmas I am losing weight and other people are gaining weight because I have learned better food choices. Hope you feel better! ~Nicole

TinkerBell

20candy07
on 12/18/07 7:03 am - Tolleson, AZ
Thanks ladies for the excellent feedback.  Would you believe I have not had any nausea or vomiting since my surgery other than last Saturday night.  Nothing!!  I am very careful how I eat and what I eat.  But, I was at a steakhouse and since I couldn't eat steak I opted for shrimp since it is on my schedule the dietitian gave me.  Oh well I should have had the baked potatoe, but, I was thinking I could use the protein.....Egg salad sounds good......mmm And yes, the holidays suck this year but you are absolutely right....when everyone is gaining weight we are losing weight and that is great about it.  The holidays suck anyway since my divorce, but, that use to be managable by cooking up a storm and eating the holiday food.....Oh well...!!  Life goes on and I will figure something out.   Well keep on chew, chew, chewing that food before swallowing it..... Candy
Most Active