Relocating from California

Sherry Leet
on 12/7/07 1:03 am - Glendale, AZ
Am relocating to Glendale, AZ from California 01/07/2007.  Are there any support groups in the Glendale/Phoenix area (am six months post RNY.  Am also looking for a bariatric surgeon for continuing follow-up and here there's a really good female doctor in Scottsdale.   Any thoughts/suggestions?
cybird
on 12/7/07 4:06 am - Queen Creek, AZ
The Dr. you are referring to is Dr. Robin Blackstone. She is an awesome Dr. I am 3 months post op and she was wonderful. There are support groups through her office on the first Monday and second Wednesday of every month. They are held at the Scottsdale Healthcare hospital on Shea Blvd in Scottsdale. It is a drive for you from Glendale but it is worth it.
Sherry Leet
on 12/7/07 4:22 am - Glendale, AZ
Thank you!!!  Will attend the support group and will get a referral to Dr. Blackstone as soon as I hook up with my new PCP.
CINABOBINA
on 12/7/07 5:01 am
Sorry to burst your bubble -  But I dont believe Dr Blackstone takes on other  practices patients - unless there is more surgery to be done.  You Might  also Check out Dr Schlesinger In  the P.v. area  He is awesome- very caring  and is easy to get to.   His Number is 480 991-6877 Dr Blackstones is  480 391-3885 or  tool free 800 504-9567 Dr Blackstone is  more than awesome - But hard to get into see !
Michael B.
on 12/11/07 12:17 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I found the same thing out the hard way...I called every doctor in town, literally, and found that the only doctors willing to accept post-op patients into their practice were Dr. Schlesinger at AZ Weight Loss Solutions in NE Phoenix (Tatum/101) and Dr. Podekami at Banner Gateway Hospital in Mesa (Higley/US 60)....I went to see Dr. Schlesinger despite the long drive because of his reputation and am very happy with my choice...As for support groups, try a few of 'em. go with the one you are most likely to stick with, even if it isn't the closest...check out the Chandler Regional group if you get a chance...

Visit My Newly Launched Blog:

Ann M.
on 12/12/07 8:21 pm - Peoria, AZ
I had the same problem and I will be getting with Dr. Schlesinger soon.  I'm 18 months out so I don't need to see him until June so I'll wait a bit.  I live in Sun City which is really close to you.  I'm thinking of starting a group here if you'd like to help me.  I'm an OH support leader who moved here from Michigan in November.  I miss the support groups but I just don't have time to drive anywhere far at night and I work from 8 - 5 all day so the daytime groups don't work for me. Let me know if you'd be interested.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Sherry Leet
on 12/12/07 9:29 pm - Glendale, AZ
I would be really interested in assisting with a new group.  I will be spending a good majority of my time in Sun City, since that's where my best friend lives.  Not sure of what my husband's work hours yet (his job is relocating him),  but pretty much any time would be good for me.  My personal e-mail address is [email protected].   Will be really nice to have another "friend" in a brand new place!! 
Ann M.
on 12/13/07 10:11 am - Peoria, AZ
I'll start working on a meeting place right after the holidays and let you know.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active