What should I bring with me to St. Luke's?

SisterMadly
on 11/12/07 7:00 am
December 5th is coming quickly!  What should I bring with me to the hospital?  Do I need pajamas?  Would a long nightshirt work better for me?  Anything you think I may want or need, please let me know.    Thanks so very much!! Anna
20candy07
on 11/13/07 7:15 am - Tolleson, AZ
Hi, Pajamas will not be necessary.  However, you may want to take a robe to cover yourself when you get up to walk, shower shoes, slippers, your favorite toilettetries, reading materials, a big towel for the shower and a hair brush.  The hospital will provide you with a few essentials that are basic, but, they are very generic.  The towels were very small. Best wishes and hope this helps. Candy
SisterMadly
on 11/15/07 12:10 am
Thank you so much.  Will I be wearing a hospital gown?  I am so glad you mentioned the big towel.  I like having one I can wrap all the way around me. 
flyrep
on 11/14/07 3:02 pm - AZ

With this issue I feel the less the better. 1) Something easy to to wear home. 2) lip balm 3) pads, tooth brush, underarm care 4) maybe a portable dvd player and some dvd's ( I have one you can use )  It was a saver for me. 5) cell phone with family and friend numbers to call to inform how all is. 6)  A pair of house shoes! That's all I took.  I thought about taking all my face products and makeup but I didnt think I would be up for it and I wasnt. I cant wait to have you on the losers side! You'll be feeling healthier in no time!

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

SisterMadly
on 11/15/07 12:16 am
Hey there Shannon my Angel!  I am glad you mentioned not bothering with makeup.  After surgery, what do you feel like wearing?  Something like a pullover dress or a sweatsuit?  I guess I am asking if any kind of pants are going to be comfortable.   Luckily, my cell phone has an mp3 player.  I need to remember to update the music and make sure I have headphones for it.    I can't wait for me to be on the losing side, too!  I am nervous, but also looking forward to feeling better.  Thanks so much!!
20candy07
on 11/15/07 9:24 am - Tolleson, AZ
St Lukes will provide you with the hospital gowns and they are comfortable. The surgery sites are still fresh and tender so the gowns are best to wear.  Pants will be uncomfortable in the waist.  If you have pants where the waist band is stretched, those are comfortable around your stomach...I wore shorts and a top home.  Hope all goes well!! Candy
SisterMadly
on 11/15/07 11:50 pm
Thank you Candy! I think I have a roomy knit pullover dress that still fits me.  I may wear that. 
Cassi J.
on 11/16/07 2:50 pm - AZ
I'm glad you asked this!  My surgery date is this Monday (11/19) with Dr. Juarez.  Thanks Candy and Shannon for your suggestions!  I would have never though about a DVD player!  We had one, but it was stolen about 9 months ago.  I think I'll take my laptop instead.  Oh, and my iPod to listen to music.  There's never anything good to watch on TV, and I'm not much of a TV watcher (except for HGTV and Food Network, LOL). I think I will also want essential oils, since I can't stand the smell of hospitals! Sounds like I'll have time to rewatch Pride and Prejudice (BBC version!). 
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Lady Lithia
on 11/16/07 3:36 pm
I thought about bringing a DVD player.... Pride and Prejudice sounds perfect too... I could watch that over and over again and never get sick of it. I would worry a little about theft though. My current plan is to take my largest sweat pants and pullover shirt and wear it in to surgeyr and then home from surgery. But at the rate I'm losing, I think I won't be able to use my largest sweat pants. Last time I put them on they  fell off again! Have they given you any indication of how long you will be in the hospital?  My hospital list:  Comfy clothes Stuffy for comfort (hubby will buy this for me, of course, and give it to me as a surprise present) Book to read Journal to write in in case I feel like it plus pretty pens for writing.  I'm going to braid my hair the morning of surgery and leave it that way until I get home. It'll look a fright after a while, but I'd rather it be kept somewhat orderly where I don't have to mess with it for a while.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cassi J.
on 11/16/07 4:28 pm - AZ

I don't have any hair left to braid!  LOL  I need to update my avatar; I chopped off all my hair and went short again, which is my norm.  And I got rid of the ridiculous blond highlights! I was told to expect two nights in the hospital.  My surgery is very late in the day, though, so I wonder if that will make a difference.   I hope not.  If I have to spend three nights, that would have me coming home on Thanksgiving day! My SIL just gave me a fun book to read post-surgery called "Austenland".  There seems to be a Jane Austen theme going here!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Most Active