Stuck :(

M. clarke
on 11/5/07 12:28 pm

Okay. Long time no complain. So here goes some venting!!! I have lost a total of about 3 lbs in the past  8 weeks!  Aside from knowing my heart is in a lot better shape as it takes a lot more effort to hit my zone, I feel like all the sweating and sore muscles is all for nothing.

And as much as I appreciate the equipment and classes at the gym, I am finding the social atmosphere leaves something to be desired. Today during my water aerobics class a  90 year old women said that she had been coming there for 10 years and that I was in her spot. ROFLMAO. Seriously. I just laughed at her as she tried to explain that she and her friends had some sort of jurisdiction over the deep end of the pool and everyone else had to stay in the shallow end.

That interesting confrontation was followed by a 20 minute session on the treadmill next to Barbie who strolled on the treadmill, flipped through her cosmo, and chatted so loud on her cell phone I couldn’t hear my own music. I wanted to trip her.

So aside from the interesting people at the gym I do enjoy the classes for the most part, and do enjoy the equipment. I am really tired of not seeing results on the scale though. I do feel like I am getting healthier but it is just not showing up on the scale and after 8 weeks of working out it is discouraging! I have my 1 year appointment tomorrow so I will see if I am building any muscle. Hopefully I am.

I don’t want to get discouraged over weight as I don’t mind where I am. I just don’t want to work this hard in the gym for nothing. Does that make sense?

Okay. Enough complaining. I know it will get better and I will start losing again. Just frustrated and had to vent!

Thanks 

JRinAZ
on 11/5/07 1:06 pm - Layton, UT
Oh my gosh Melissa!  Your post is hysterical!  I seriously can see you taking out that buff little senior citizen but knowing you, you probably just moved to the shallow end and apologized!  you are toooooooooo sweet!!!! And.... Barbie probably wouldn't have noticed if you'd tripped her!  LOL!  She was probably too into herself! Your posts echo mine from a couple of years ago!   I have had GREAT gym stories and I have to tell you that those fun moments of yours are golden!  .......  I haven't had gym time for a long time and it makes me CRAZY!  I actually bonded with a bunch of the folks at the gym.  I used to play raquetball with the old men, slurped protein drinks with some of the personal trainers, helped newbies on the equipment and loved looking at myself in the dance room mirrors!  LOL!  I know that sounds soooooo vein BUT.......I had come from a place where I hated myself so much that I would NOT even step foot in a gym.  It took me months of therapy in front of those mirrors before I finally realized that I looked just like everyone else in that room! I guess my long winded point is that there's more to your gym routine than the scale.  It's a lifetime change that can make a difference forever!  ...........  Check out your tone.  Check out your cut calves.  Check out the way your clothes fit.  It's not just about the scale!  How about those tired muscles at athe end of a day!  Isn't it great?  Isn't it fantastic when you can take a flight of stairs without stopping and actually arrive at the top able to carry on a normal conversation! Keep at it and maybe shake up your eating routine.  Increase your calories then cut back.  Cut back on nuts, salt, cheese, cottage cheese and focus on grilled chicken, grilled fish and some low glycemic veggies for a while.  Maybe push your protein over 100 grams for a while. I am soooooo proud of you for your gym routine!  Remember where you came from!  Your progress now may not be measured in the same places as it once was! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

M. clarke
on 11/5/07 1:46 pm
Joyce, Thanks! I knew I could count on you to understand! I just started pushing up the protein. I also added flax oil and cla to my vitamin's. I've been consistantly increasing my workout to the point that I'm burning over 1000 calories a day now and it isn't making a difference so I think your right it has to be diet. So this week I started just switching things up. The calorie deficiency is there. I should be losing so it has to be my metabolism and how my body is processing what I'm eating. So hopefully with mixing things up the weight will start to come off. My pants aren't fitting any loser, but I think the arms and legs are getting more toned. Hopefully! LOL. I should know for sure tomorrow if I have gained some muscle since my last Dr. Appointment. Thanks again for your post Joyce! As always I appreciate your constant support. And I did leave the deep end of the pool, but only because I was cutting out of water arobics class early so I could try out the yoga class. LOL. But she probably thought she chased me away!
Nicole W.
on 11/6/07 2:01 am - Cave Creek, AZ

Hey girl! I have my one year appointment tomorrow and I am dreading it...  I think I have lost 18lbs since my last visit.  Since my gallbladder came out, I can handle carbs without a problem.  I have been wanting to postpone my appointment because I really don't want to be embarrassed or seem like a failure.  I know I am not a failure... I have lost a bunch of weight, just not as much as some may want.  Maybe getting my butt chewed out will be good motivation again. I too, bust my butt in the gym and the scale hardly moves.  I don't get it. But, am I happier today than I was a year ago.? Hell yeah!  If I were not to lose another pound, would I be happy?  hell yeah!   Go to support groups... you will find yourself walking out of there with new goals and motivation each time.  They are extremely helpful!  I swear each time I leave, I have a new goal to set. ~Nicole

TinkerBell

M. clarke
on 11/6/07 4:35 am
Hey Nicole. 18 pounds is great!! I had my 1 year appointment today. I was worried that Randy was going to wonder what the heck I had been doing. But he was really supportive and cool. He said things are just going to come off slower now. He said some people just have higher metabolisms then others. I am down 9 pounds, and up 1 pound of muscle since my last appointment which was middle of August, so just under 3 months. He didn't yell or anything so I don't think he will yell at you as we are at the same point. He changed our vitamins. The b complex is going away, and everything else is increasing. So 2 multi's, 50mg of iron (I am not sure if this is just while your having your period or all the time. If you think of it while your there will you confirm that??) 1500-2000 mg of calcium, and the b12 3x a week now. I usually take the b12 every day anyways because I like the energy it gives me. The calcium I will have problem with. I'm great on the first dose. I remember to take that as I take it when I'm making breakfast. For some reason. I can't ever remember to take the 2nd does. Now we have to take a third! Anyways. He will give you a paper on it. Anyways. Don't stress. Your doing better then me sounds like, and Randy didn't yell at me. LOL. So I think your safe. When do you go to group? I am thinking about coming. I think it might be helpful right now because things are getting so hard.
Most Active