need some advice maybe some scolding!!!

usafwifeandmommy
on 11/4/07 1:52 pm - tucson, AZ

Ok so my story is alot like this , I got pregnant and married young, I gained a TON of weight, went from being prom queen to sitting in dairy queen and gave up everything for food. long story short, I got lucky enough to have a gastric bypass procedure done in june of this year!!!I know I should be thrilled. However soon after surgury, I became lazy, like all the times before, my surgeon is in peonix and I am in Tucson and I never make it to my post op group appointments, or classes, I have not been to any support groups and I have told myself I dont need them at all.

Here are the things I am not doing....

Exersising, you heard that right, I have went walking twice since surgury. I hated it before and I still do.

Drinking water, yeah again maybe 2 glasses a day. TOPS, I try to get liquids in with tea bu****er really gets my stomach sick, unless I SIP!

Taking supplements or vitamins, ok so yeah I have not drank a protien drink in over 3 months, my hair is falling out and I dont know the last time that I took a daily multi vitamin or a supplament.???? I know I know.

So basiclly I am letting myself go, I am not loosing very fast maybe 70 pounds in 4 months, which is still fast, but, I did have bypass.

I am feeling like I have not made the changes I need to make, I know I dont take care of myself. I run a home daycare and care for everyone else.

I guess what I am needing from all of you , is to tell me how you incorporate ALL of this new stuff that is still so new to me into your life?  please someone, anyone help me with some tips that help you get into your routine? thanks so much guys.

flyrep
on 11/4/07 5:28 pm - AZ
Stop not doing and start REDOING. You can KILL yourself not doing all of these things.  Enough said. I have three words for you!~ PUT YOURSELF FIRST! Or soon you won't have to. I'm here if you ever need anything! Just pm! 

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 11/4/07 10:57 pm - Tucson, AZ

In the very beginning I put myself on a schedule and wrote down what I ate.  By doing this I would not forget to eat.   I don't exercise as much as I should either, but I do a lot more than I ever did in the past 15 years.  I garden, paint my house, pull weeds, etc. etc.  We would go to Swap Meet or the Mall and walk; not buy anything but just go for the exercise.   Is your husband supporting you?  It doesn't sound like it.  He should be encouraging you to do these things. 

Don't forget that you can always post here or email your friends privately for support and encouragement.  I don't attend the group meetings here in Tucson anymore, but a few of us get together monthly to encourage each other.

Hang in there.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

quiltz
on 11/5/07 12:28 am - Phoenix, AZ
As tough as it sounds, get into your surgeon and let him or her know what is going on.  The bit with the vitamins can lead to disaster for your health and well-being.  You went through the pain, but even with 70 pounds gone, you don't sound like you have the joy that comes with it!  I would imagine they will want you to spend some time with a psychologist to find out exactly why you are denying yourself the behaviors to insure this is a lasting change.  I'm sure you realize you are standing in a mine field and the outcome isn't looking too good.  Your surgeon may offer an on-line support group (I know mine does).  The help you get from others makes your resolve stronger and the numbers show those that utilize support groups have a higher over time success rate.  Good luck.
M. clarke
on 11/5/07 10:59 am
Dr. Blackstone has online support groups???
quiltz
on 11/5/07 12:43 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Yes, she does.  Call the office and they will give you all the information.
M. clarke
on 11/5/07 1:36 pm
Thanks. I will be in there tomorrow. I will ask them :)
Deanne K.
on 11/5/07 8:03 am - Tucson, AZ
You just have to take care of YOU there is no negotiating!  No one else can. Your vitamins and water are a must!!  You can develop so many complications that are permanent if you don't take your vitamins.  This is a serious issue you don't want to develop the consequences of not taking them.  You need to be taking the protein supplements especially since you are losing your hair.  Hair loss is a sign of not getting enough protein and it is also normal for someone 4 months out from surgery. I am not trying to giving you a hard time, but am concerned for your health. Make an appointment to see your Dr.  Get your labs checked.  Don't be afraid to go see them. Exercise, you can find things other than walking that is enjoyable.  I enjoy water aerobics.  I am like you I hate to walk, but mine is for a physical issue. Support groups are there to help you.   There is one here in town that is more educational and not like pre-op that I like, they hold it on the last Thurs of month at UMC at 7:00 usually in rm. 5408. We are here to help you as well.
Lori M.
on 11/5/07 8:11 am - Queen Creek, AZ

I can completely understand how the changes that you have to make after surgery can be overwhelming.  There are a lot of things you have to do for yourself that you weren't used to.  The other posters are right though... not doing the things that you are told to do after surgery can be so dangerous. Since you run a day care from home.. you probably get atleast some exercise with running around taking care of the children.  Do you have a park near by that you can walk the kids to?  That would be an easy way to get in some exercise. The vitamins just have to become a routine.  You get up every morning and take a shower and brush your teeth, eat breakfast... all those things are part of your routine... have the vitamins on hand... figure out the best time to take those and make sure you take them!  You are not getting the nutrients you need because you aren't eating as much or the same foods as you did before the surgery. You know the things you are supposed to be doing... if what you need is someone to tell you yes, you really need to do those things then: YES YOU REALLY NEED TO DO ALL THOSE THINGS!  You need to be there for your children and for your husband... but most importantly you have to be there for yourself.  If you don't do the things the doctor told you to do you risk not being around for your family.

usafwifeandmommy
on 11/5/07 8:13 am - tucson, AZ
Thank you everybody for your replies. I have been reading them and have taken what each of you has said very seriously. Today was the start of a new way of life for me. I guess I felt invincible like I would not be that person that would get sick. Just a question? what are some of the consequences of not taking vitamins? I mean I know you can get sick, but what are some signs? anyone know.
Most Active