Im HOME ...and I feel GREAT ...BUT need some protein info

Azskyprincess
on 11/2/07 1:59 pm - CA
Revision on 01/30/12
Got out of PV hospital on Thur afternoon ( I will never do this hospital again) There is just no way I can tolerate my protein drinks I have enough problems getting my water down so I need to make the protein fast quick and simple..surgery went well NO pain after Dr Simon was the best ...he has them put in a line to your surgery area and it keeps it numb they pull it out right before you leave the hospital...I have been up and walking all day and I am even ready to fly home to CA ...Dr says I should wait but I want to go home...I will fly back on Thur for my appt I have no family in AZ they all left for there annual family cruise on Friday..( how dare they) hahahah
ginau
on 11/2/07 11:40 pm - mesa, AZ
you have lots of choices - first couple weeks is always hard , But when your ready  Checkout the Profect protein bullets , and the choice body at costco , both are concentrated and just requires a few sips to get it down,  Hang in there , keep drinking and walking , you'll be quick  on your way  to loser status
desert rat
on 11/3/07 6:16 am - Goodyear, AZ
New Whey is another "bullet" choice.  The difference is that their 3 oz bullet has 42 grams of protein.  Since we shouldn't take more than 25-30 grams at a time (because our bodies won't absorb it) you only have to swallow 1.5 ounces at once.  That's just 3 tablespoons.  You could break that down into one tablespoon per hour, just be sure to do it!  If you think of it as cough medicine, you should be able to handle it.  If you just want to skip the protein because it's too hard, you only hurt yourself.  Choose wisely. Good Luck and welcome to the loosing side, Dj
 Pre-Op 316.  Currently 134.  Goal was 135 but I'm ecstatic.
JRinAZ
on 11/3/07 12:09 pm - Layton, UT
DJ, I'm facing another big surgery ....day after Christmas!  :(   .....and I need to start protein loading.  I always have 1 to 2 drinks per day of my yummmeeeee  Matrix chocolate made like hot chocolate  but it is a bit of trouble to whip up and is a big drink.  I need the small "shots" to just grab while on the run.  I used to get the New Whey at  the Vitamin shop but they don't carry it any more.  Do you know who carries it?  I'd love to get some of the 42 gram shots so I could easily get 150 grams or so a day in me!!!!  And......for the RED jacket pick-up....I'll be at work most of next week (just out Tuesday half day for some med tests).  If I"m with a patient or not available just tell them I put it on a shelf under my desk. Good thing it's been  a warm week!  You probably haven't needed it!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Deanne K.
on 11/3/07 1:55 pm - Tucson, AZ
So Joyce, Did you postpone your surgery?  Just curious what is up, I saw your post on the Stomaphyx board.  PM me if you want.  I couldn't get the picture to upload from my camera.  I guess it to big in MB size to be uploaded.  I don't know how to downgrade it.   Deanne
desert rat
on 11/3/07 1:58 pm, edited 11/3/07 2:13 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Joyce, You have been through too much of this stuff... time to get all better.  I'm praying that this is the last one!!   As for the New Whey, I ALWAYS order it on-line.  The best price I've found recently is from FitnessFirstUSA.com.  Their current price is $53 for a 24 pack (or 2 twelve packs).  We aren't ready to order it quite yet so I can't tell you about shipping but I think if the order is over $100, the shipping is free.  I ALWAYS order enough to get free shipping and then I don't have to order it very often.  To find the best price, I just Google New Whey 42 and start clicking around.  If you find a better price, let me know cuz I'm about ready to re-order. It has been too darn warm!!  When are we going to get some nice weather???
 Pre-Op 316.  Currently 134.  Goal was 135 but I'm ecstatic.
AZdove
on 11/5/07 8:19 am - Tolleson, AZ
When I was first post op I used Designer Whey Chocolate and mixed it with Chocolate Soy Milk and ice chips....sip....sip....sip....and then sip again.  All day.  It really got to be an addiction of mine.  I felt lost without my cuppa chocolate...iced or hot beside me.  I probably should have drank more because I lost a ton of hair at the 3 month mark through the 5 month time.  It is now starting to grow back and I feel like a scarecrow with all this new stuff popping out!  So keep the sipping going.  I know it got easier for me once I was allowed to use a straw.  Good luck and welcome to the losers world of wonder!

Janette
on 11/6/07 10:52 am - Peoria, AZ
I am greater than 3 yrs post op but last summer  developed severe complications( hospitalized 8 x's this yr alone) and have relied on TPN and tube feedings for all my nourishment. I am just now starting to be able to tolerate small amts of feedings and taking slowly getting my vitamins on track. I always used costco protein but I noticed new  low card whey protein they sell is only 1/2 of the original i used to get. I never heard of "bullets" ie: small amts needed to get you protein and that would be something thats right up my alley right now. Could someone please let me know where to purchase etc. Thanks Janette RNY 7-13-04 366/127 currently with hopes to get back to mid 130s as had been as low as @ 115
JRinAZ
on 11/6/07 12:23 pm - Layton, UT
Ahhh Jannette!  You have been through some "stuff" but hopefully you are on the mend and can enjoy healthy, happy days with your petite body! The protein bullets are actually plastic tubes that are shaped like a shotgun shell (or bullet) but are about 8 inches or so long.  Mayber smaller? Anyway, you can order them on-line.  If you go to the home page of Obesity Help.  You can click on the Profect brand and order from there or you can Google for the best prices.  The 2 different brands are: Profect  and New Whey They both taste similar but I think in general that New Whey might be a tad bit less expensive and I like the flavor a bit more. Good luck on your journey back.....
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active