Question about Self Pay

Phxmomof2
on 10/30/07 2:36 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Ok I have insurance but found out today my employer has "specifically excluded" coverage for wls. So now I have to look into self pay. My insurance will cover my test etc. but if you've self paid can you tell me how much it was and where for the surgery/surgeon costs? 
kreyvin38
on 10/30/07 10:20 pm - AZ
My insurance excluded  Lap Band and I was with Dr. Fang and it was about 15K for self pay. Hope this helps.

ginau
on 10/30/07 10:57 pm - mesa, AZ
I encourage you to check out Dr Schlesinger ! he is awesome and since he started a new practice - He has the best rate around 13k - he is in the north valley. He used to be with Barix and when they closed he went out on his own - he has been doing the procedures for more than 5 yrs   There is also Dr Simpson in the west valley . he specializes in lap band and has great support for aftercare.
flyrep
on 10/31/07 2:28 pm - AZ
I was a self pay. about 23,000.00 for RNY Bypass. After I did all my homework I hired Dr. J!  MAKE SURE WHEN LOOKING THAT YOU GET THE PRE OPT TESTING inculded with the price. Hilario Juarez M.D.
525 N 18th Street
Fl 3, Ste 306
Phoenix, AZ 85006
Phone: (602) 252-1510
Fax: (602) 256-9488 If u have any questions please feel free to pm me!

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

20candy07
on 10/31/07 2:51 pm - Tolleson, AZ
I got my bill from Dr. Juarez., it was 35K.  That did not include pre op testing....that was a 2900. bill my insurance already took care of just a few weeks ago....My insurance will take care of the other... I'm surprised at the differences in costs.  I am glad that Dr. J. is taking into consideration the self pays.....that is very kind and good policy....It says a lot for him.  I like being under his care and I was fortunate enough to have Dr Robles as my anesthegeoligist(can't spell it). If you should chose Dr. Juarez,  you will not be disappointed...he has good staff.  The nurses on the surgery floor were attentive if you needed them....The recovery nurses were good as well.... Regards, Candy
Phxmomof2
on 10/31/07 2:56 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thank all of you SO much for the information. Actually Dr. Fang was recommended to me by a PA student that did a rotation with him, but I am willing to check out all of them. Did any one get some sort of financing or just paying off the bills a little at a time? It is strange how different the prices are for everyone. I emailed Dr Blackstone and they said $26,000 for everything, but I know someone else who went to her and it was $53,000.  I guess I just need to start with the names you all gave me and start contacting them. Thanks again! 
flyrep
on 10/31/07 3:13 pm - AZ
I got my bill and it was 45,000.00 I called the hospital and they informed me that the 23,000.00 had not been added not to worry about it. I later got a bill paid in full for 23,000.00 and some cents. Id call the hospital. 23.000.00 DID cover ALL my pre opt testing. Check with their office. They can set u straite. I almost pee'd myself when I opened a 45,000.00 bill!

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

ginau
on 11/1/07 10:00 am - mesa, AZ
depends on procedure and if self pay of Ins ,, Dr's bill ins more because they have a chance of getting more money out of em if there are  complications - always possible ! Dr's  set a price  for self pay and take a risl there is no complications - also they dont have to wait on checks from the ins comp and are willing to get you in sooner.  Dr Blackstone  has a wonderful reputation and can ask more , also her Hospital is $$ then St Luke's - there are some other perks to the visit -  I will say this - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !! I still encourage you  to check out Schlesinger - He is wonderful and I can go on and on about him. Dr's Fang and Jurez did not overly impress me -- Esp after i sat and waited in their office for 3 hours on my initial  appt.  in the end I chose Dr Blackstone and am very happy  In the end who ever you chose will do a wonderful job !! Just make sure to Dr shop and be comfortable and confident with your choice !!    Also  do yoru homework ! make sure you understand everything , go to a support group !
Phxmomof2
on 11/1/07 12:38 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Tahnks so much for the info. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if I can get in on a seminar soon. Just curious, I was hoping for a Lap RNY and see he does more open. Since I am new to this would you have any idea why that is?
JRinAZ
on 11/1/07 1:37 pm - Layton, UT
Hi there, You wondered why Dr. S show more open surgeries than lap.  He used to be a surgeon for Barix Hospital and that is what they required since it is considered faster and often safer for people with previous surgeries (scar tissue issues, etc.).  He has done many lap rny's as well as lap lapbands.  I think that's a good question to ask him if you attend one of his seminars.  Good luck with your decision! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active