Teen surgery. Can anybody help?

Kabaa
on 10/19/07 11:11 pm, edited 10/20/07 1:04 am - Tempe, AZ
My 16 yo granddaughter, 260# now,  wants either WLS or lap band.    She has ACCCHS We can't locate a surgeon in Phx area who (1) does teens or (2) does teens and takes AHCCCS. She has her PCP's letter that it is  medically necessary.    Does anybody know a Dr. in the Phx  area or anywhere in AZ who does teens regardless of insurance?   Her mother and I have both had WLS but we need a place to start hunting for help for her.   I can also be reached at [email protected] or 602.438.0913.    Thanks. Fran        Dr. Villares      WLS 7-26-05
ginau
on 10/20/07 2:33 am - mesa, AZ

Did you check with Fang & Juarez ??   they seem like the only ones I would think of that would consider it a special  case . I would try to go see them on a consult and  get their feedback , I think your going to have lots of trouble  untill she is at least 18 -  With teens so much can be turned around !  Diet, lifestyle , exercise - Is she looking to the surgery asa special OUT? What else has she tried ?  What other Dr's have you checked out ? Also you might try calling acchs and asking them who has done this  is in the past ????  Teen WLS is pretty uncommon,

Megs515
on 10/20/07 3:22 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Fran...  I know EXACTLY what your granddaughter is going through. I myself went throught the EXACT same thing. By the age of 16 I had tried so many diets and exercise programs but nothing worked. Unfortunately, I don't think many surgeons will operate on teenagers. I was told that I had to wait until I was 18 to have the surgery (typically because that is when the body stops growing and maturing). Try Dr. Fang and Dr. Juarez...they may do it..if you call their offices and they tell you no, ask them if they know of any surgeons that do. Best wishes to your granddaughter! Megan
Jody W.
on 10/21/07 1:45 pm - El Mirage, AZ
Hey Lady! You are quick! I told you I would do it, but you beat me to the punch.  LOL Juarez/Fang will not do it per the office staff, but I think I will make a consult appointment with them and see what they say in person.   Thanks for the post and maybe it will get a response that we have not thought of. :-)
soon2bnewme
on 10/23/07 7:04 am - Chandler, AZ

If your considering the lapband you might want to check with Dr. Terry Simpson.  He only does the lapband procedure though.   Good luck, Renee'

"Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody else expects of you, never excuse yourself." Henry Ward Beecher  
314/282/156.4/135 (Heaviest/Pre-Op/Current/GOAL) 
Total lost since Banded on August 14th, 2006 "-125.6" pounds  
Total lost since 8/05 "-157.6" pounds

Most Active