Back in Phoenix and can't find a surgeon for follow-up care

Michael B.
on 10/10/07 1:00 pm, edited 10/10/07 1:04 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I just moved back to Phoenix after a two year stint in NC. I had lap RNY at Duke in Durham, NC in March and am doing great - down 113 lbs. I called four different surgeons' offices in Phoenix today to try to set up aftercare here. I'm a few weeks past due for my six month follow up....Nobody will take me! Not any of the doctors at Good Sam or Dr. Johnson in Mesa... I guess either: A. all the money is made upfront with the surgery, so it doens't make good business sense to waste time with post-ops when their schedules are so full of people wanting surgery. or  B. they don't want to risk trying to treat me when they don't have the first-hand knowledge of exactly how my surgery was done...ie. mitigating risk... Either way I feel like a reject. I have gone through all of the ASBS Center of Excellence options, now I will have to find someone who does not have that accredidation. Maybe, I should preface my request by saying I am only 28, near goal, with only one minor complication that has pretty much been resolved, Maybe then I won't be treated as a "high-risk" patient. Damn, I feel like a Leper.

Visit My Newly Launched Blog:

ginau
on 10/10/07 1:40 pm - mesa, AZ

By any chance did you call Dr Eric Schlesinger? He is at North Valley Plastics Surgery  for now - untill his office opens up in a couple weeks ,, - Or You can Call Dr Hammoud( thinks its spelled wrong )  in Chandler - warner and Az ave  - he is setting up his primary care practice and has some Exp  with bariatrics ( he used to be with Mayo)  if you call Dr Novakovic at 480 775-4700  they will give you his number - A friend goes to him and loves him very knowledgable .  I think I have his number at work - I'll send it thursday  to you !!

flyrep
on 10/11/07 4:04 am - AZ
I called my doctor and your right they wont take u!   I would go with Dr . S too. He is a very kind man. I talked with him on Sat durning the walk and Im sure he said he is taking aftercare persons as well. 480 419 2280 Not a very nice way to start your stay in AZ but we are glad u are here!

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

Ann M.
on 10/11/07 5:46 am - Peoria, AZ
I had the same problem and Amy from Obesity Help contacted Dr. Schlesinger's office and they will take patients from other doctors.  He has left Barix and is opening his own stand alone practice and is taking people that the other doctors turn away (for aftercare only).  Call and talk to Joyce and she'll get you set up right away.   Ann
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
JRinAZ
on 10/11/07 1:23 pm - Layton, UT
Ann, It was a pleasure talking with you today on the phone.  ........But, just so no one gets lost in the "moving" shuffle when Dr. Schlesinger's offices are finally finished (next couple of weeks)......If you ask for Joyce then you'll get all kinds of information about Dr. Gitt and North Valley Plastic Surgery  :)    .........Sooooo...if you want to find out info about Dr. Schlesinger then ask for Kathy, his Bariatric Coordinator.  She is a lovely person and will definitely help you through any WLS dilemas you may have.  I was just answering her phone today while she was out sick. .......looking forward to meeting you Anne, when you finally arrive in Phoenix! Joyce
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ann M.
on 10/11/07 2:36 pm - Peoria, AZ
Joyce, it was great talking with you too.  You should have said you were JR from the board.  I am so happy that I can finally find someone who can take me for aftercare.  You know how long I've been trying to find this and it's finally falling into place.  I have a list of stuff to do before/after I move and I finally put a line through this goal. I'll not only be using Dr. Schlesinger but I might check into the plastic surgery too.  I thought I was done losing weight and would be ready after December but I'm still losing so I have to go a while longer.

Michael B.
on 10/11/07 6:45 am - Gilbert, AZ
Thanks! I left a message at Dr. Schelsinger's office this morning!

Visit My Newly Launched Blog:

SKennedy13
on 10/11/07 12:44 pm - Queen Creek, AZ
Lap Band on 05/02/07 with
did you try dr. Podkameni at banner. He is moving offices soon the the new banner hospital on higley and basline. Good luck.
Lori M.
on 10/13/07 1:02 am - Queen Creek, AZ
Is it possible to call your doctor that performed your surgery and see if they could network and find a doctor that make be able to take you... maybe if the doctor that did your surgery got involved they could "talk doctor" so that whoever was taking over could feel comfortable in treating you?  Not really sure... just was throwing something out there. Good Luck!
Ann M.
on 10/13/07 9:07 pm - Peoria, AZ
Lori, I tried that too.  It seems that Phoenix surgeons don't like to return phone calls to Michigan (just my experience).  They also turned my surgeons down by letter.  As said above, Dr. Schlesinger seems to be the only one who is willing to take people on that have had surgery elsewhere.   What gets me is that once you're over 3 months or so out, you don't see the surgeon anyway.  You see a PA (here in MI) or someone associated with that office.  I just need them to order blood tests and give me the results and generally keep me honest.  They all stress aftercare and support but if you're from out of their office, it doesn't apply.

Most Active