Newbie - and counting the days!

badamczyk
on 10/4/07 11:06 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Everyone: Looking forward to making some friends and connections.  I am fairly new to the forum, and am scheduled for surgery.  I wish I had been a part of this during the approval process, which was just a nightmare.  This process for me has taken almost a year.  I have been frustrated, sad, angry, but it all was worth it because I am scheduled for surgery. My surgery date is the 26th of this month.  I am looking forward to it, but a little frightened as well. Would appreciate any support and/or comments. Thanks, Beth
Lori M.
on 10/5/07 12:53 pm - Queen Creek, AZ
Hey Beth! My surgery is scheduled for the 23rd of this month!  We are week twins. haha.  What procedure are you having?! Good luck!!  And welcome to the board!
badamczyk
on 10/6/07 1:29 am - Phoenix, AZ
Ohmygosh!  We are week twins :-)  I am having gastric bypass (laproscopically) .  What about you??? Good luck to you as well and thanks for the warm welcome. Beth
~Believe and Succeed!  There is magic in believing. . .PB~
Lori M.
on 10/6/07 2:00 am - Queen Creek, AZ
I am having the same procedure.  Well definitely good luck.... I am getting nervous as the two week mark approaches fast!
badamczyk
on 10/6/07 2:02 am - Phoenix, AZ
I hear ya!  I am nervous too -- but look at all the success in this room?  I think we will be two more added to that happy group in just a few days. Beth
Lori M.
on 10/6/07 2:15 am - Queen Creek, AZ
Yup!  You are probably right.  I guess I have my moments where my nerves get the best of me.  For the most part I am really excited and cannot wait for the transformation.  But of course I have the normal thoughts going through my head. I have never been in the hospital over night have you?
westvalley
on 10/6/07 3:01 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Lori!  I was in the hospital for 5 months a couple of years ago. So two to three days to me sounds like a breeze :-). I think you may be knocked out by all the pain meds to really notice anything one way or the other and if it's uneventful surgery (which is what we are praying for) it's nothing to worry about. If you have nice nurses who understand your needs and the environment is peaceful that part of it all will be a breeze. I here scottsdale really try to make it a comfortable experience for you. You have to let me know how it is and do you really get that free massage I've been hearing about!  "NO WORRIES, BE HAPPY"
***HUGS***
}i{ Julie
badamczyk
on 10/6/07 5:32 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Again -- as Westvalley pointed out, it's all about the hospital, doctor and nurses and I'm sure we will have a great experience.  Sure, I am frightened too -- I can't lie about that -- after all, I am the one who updated her will (rolling eyes heavenward - just in case!) And I hate having those feelings.   I have been in the hospital, in fact, three years ago this coming November 3rd, I had a hysterectomy which was open, and I lived to tell the tale. I would like to share a story with you, one that not only inspires me, but encourages me to no end.  This story is about my daughter, who is an amazing young woman!  When she was seven years old, in one of her normal yearly check ups, we found that she had Scoliosis.  Shortly after that, the pediatrician referred us to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in juvenile scoliosis.  I never knew there was such a thing, and my heart broke to think there was even a need for such a doctor.  As much as I hated it, here I was, dragging my daughter in to see him.  We went through a whole lot of growing pains, anger, hurt, and sadness over this.  The doctor decided she had to be in a brace, as she was so young, had so much growing to do, and she had two curves in her spine which formed the letter "S".  As she grew, her spine was collapsing.  I did not see any other choice, but to go along with the brace.  We entered an orthotics office (never knew they existed either) and we saw people being fitted with artificial legs, arms, and other parts.  Thank God they can do so much to help these people, but I felt it was wrong for me to be there with my little girl.   We prayed, God made us stronger and we dealt with it.  All of the tears, and kids making fun of her, and what she had to go through to get adjusted to her new brace was huge.  She was supposed to wear it 23.5 hours a day, with only a small break to shower.  It was critical because they didn't want her spine to "get away from them."  It could have caused some serious health concerns.   When she reached puberty, they allowed her to cut back her usage of the brace to 18 hours, which meant, she didn't have to wear it to school anymore!  Thank God!  It was a small miracle, and for the first time ever, my daughter who was entering 7th grade, was able to shop for jeans, and tee shirts -- things she couldn't wear before because they would not fit over her brace which went from her shoulders to her hips.  She was thrilled, and so was I.  We had to go in periodically for them to make a new brace for her as she grew, and her little body changed.  It was a long process. On her 15th brithday, and it happened to be raining, we sat in the doctor;s office and heard the words we knew were inevitable, but dreaded for years. . ."I think it's time we talk about getting her surgery scheduled."  Even though we had years to prepare, it just tore me apart.  My daughter broke down, sobbing, and all I could do was hold her little body and tell her I would be with her.  See, we had no choice because her curves bent to the left, and if we didn't, it could interfere with her heart and lung function later in life.  In short, I saw no way around it.  So they scheduled her surgery  for June -- during the summer months so she could heal, and not have to miss any school. On June 26th, 2007, my little girl went into the hospital at 5 a.m. to be prepared for surgery that was scheduled for 8 am.  It took so long because they had to wire her body, in preparation for the spinal monitoring, which would take place during the surgery.  She had wires in her hair, her neck, her shoulders, arms, stomach and legs.  They ran electrical pulses through the wires, and measured the response from her spinal cord, which gave them a benchmark and allowed them to monitor it during surgery.  The surgery took 8 hours, and she had three I.V.s in; one in her hand, one in the side of her neck (main artery) and one in her other arm.  They woke her up on the operating table before the doctor closed her back, and asked her to wiggle her toes.  Once he got a good wiggle, they closed her up and she went off to intensive care for one night.  He told me she would be in the hospital for five to seven days, as this is such a major surgery.  She left the hospital after three days, totally blowing away the doctor and nurses with her desire to get better. She now has a scar that runs from the top of her spine, all the way down her back.  She is three inches taller, and happier than ever.  We made it!!!  She said to me, "Mom, I am fixed.  I am a normal kid."  She entered high school this year, and while she has some restrictions on her, most don't even know she had surgery. I share this story not to downplay the surgery I, and some of the rest of you, will be facing, but simply to let you know when we feel it's bad, and we get into the old pity party mode, just remember, it can be so much wosre Through it all, my daughter was a ray of sunshine.  She is a true blessing from God, and I thank God for her every day.  She encourages me, and lets me know,, "Mom, it will be okay."  So I share her sentiment with the rest of you facing this surgery we face.  She will be with me on the 26th when I have my surgery, and she said, "Mom, it will be the first day of your new life, and we are going to have a great life together."  I share her sentiment with you all. . . The day of your surgery, is the first day of the rest of our healthy lives. I hope my daughter's story will touch and inspire some of you -- especially those facing surgery.  Just know, it can always be worse, and it will get better. Beth
Lori M.
on 10/6/07 6:27 am - Queen Creek, AZ
Beth, Thank you so much for sharing your story.  It means a lot to me.  I'm glad it had a happy ending and your daughter is doing so much better!
badamczyk
on 10/6/07 6:28 am - Phoenix, AZ
She is, thank you!  And you know what?  *WE* will be all right too.  After surgery, when we are out of the hospital, we will be posting again right here :-) God bless, Beth
Most Active