Weight loss frustrations

BoneyMaroney
on 10/1/07 4:17 am
I am almost a full month post op.  I have only 7 -8 lbs lost so far.  I thought I would be at 15 or so down by now with the fasting, liquid diets and all protein meals for a month.  I am very discouraged.  I have been really really hungry so two days ago I added vegetables (on my own) just to stop the hunger.  I am amazed that I can eat and drink exactly like prior to surgery.  I do get a satisfied feeling after eating about 2 cups of food which is different than before the band because it seem as if before I could eat 4 cups or more.   That said, I walk 2 miles a day and have been eating small protein only meals for a month. I am truly discouraged.   I get a fill on Thursday.  Then 3 days of liquids before I can eat again.  I am afraid that I will be losing only 4 or 5 lbs a month. Has this happened to anyone else?

Top weight 244/ surgery 236/goal 137
Ann M.
on 10/1/07 6:33 am - Peoria, AZ
Lap banders lose much more slowly than RNY'rs.  Check with your doctor to see if this is normal.  I've heard though that at the end of 3 years, the weight loss is the same. 
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/07 7:18 am - AZ
Hang in there loosing 8 lbs is great for only being 1 month out. I've always been told the first month is all about healing. Once you get your first or 2nd fill the weight will come off.
At this point look at your calorie intake. Stay away from the drinks that have extra calories and if you use any dips for your vegetables get rid of those too.

Also go to the Lap Band board. There are a lot of great people who can probably help.
M. clarke
on 10/1/07 8:23 am

Sounds like you are doing fine. I was always told that 8-12 pounds was the normal weight loss for RNY's. And from what I understand lapbanders lose a little slower normally as they don't have the malabsorption. Your body is probably just holding onto it's calories because you are starving with the fasting and liquid dieting. Try not to get depressed. It will come off. Best thing to do is to stay off the scale.  Scales can make us obsessed, and we all know they can fluctuate like crazy. Mine has fluctuated as much as 10 pounds within a few days. You can be doing exactly what you are supposed to do and the scale can convince you that you are doing it wrong, or vice versa.

I’ve been walking about 2 miles a day also, so I know what a chore that is J Keep in mind you have to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound.  So your probably shedding about a pound a week with your walking. Which I personally think is fantastic! Don’t get discouraged. It will come off. Your doing the right things. Stick with the walking, and stick to the eating right and it will come off.  I know you’ve heard it before, it didn’t come on over night, and it won’t come off that way either J

Most Active