I am back and hoping to get the LapBand!

Cess
on 9/25/07 10:37 am - Mesa, AZ

I am almost afraid to say this out loud and jinx myself, but..... It looks like my insurance will finally start covering the band this coming year.  Now my search begins again for the right surgeon for me.  I think I have narrowed down to Dr. Simpson or Dr. Blackstone.  I am hoping their number of surgeries of the band has gone way up in the last year and a half, lol!  I know how important placement of the band is for it to work!   I know the band is not done as often as the RNY, but would anyone like to share their experiences (good and bad) with their lapband.   Thanks so much~

Candi Y.
on 9/25/07 11:48 am - Cottonwood, AZ
It will help having people opions, but its MOST important that YOU feel good about your choice of Doc's.  What I can tell you about myself is that I wanted a Doc who specialized in the band and when I went to a few seminars, Doc's seemed to talk about both RNY & Lapband and then..... I met Doc Simpson who tells you right off the bat he NO LONGER does RNY, he doesnt get into reasons but explains that he fully studies and concentrates on the Lapband system and therefore stay real in tune with changes and upgrades and I LIKED THAT!!!  He focus is stictly on the Lapband and you'll know that when you listen to him speak. So do your research and feel good about who YOU have choosen!  Good Luck and keep us posted! Take care Candi
blue71969
on 9/25/07 1:19 pm - glendale, AZ
For me it went great.  I went in for surgery at 3pm on aug 30, then went home by 9pm.  I had pain of course for about a week, mostly around the largest incision.  My only complication was my skin did not like the staples, so make sure you are not allergic to metals, like i can only wear gold jewlery and anything else makes me break out.  Other than that, nothing to complain about.  My best friend wound up getting pretty dehydrated, but bounced back from that after a few days.  I just had a fill yesterday, 4 weeks post op, just waiting for that to take effect, they only placed a little solution in, so i am going back in 2 weeks.  I hope they go drastic on the next fill.  I liked the idea of the lap band due to the less invasive extense of the surgery.  No one wants to be cut open, so at least try to make it as easy as possible.  I have known several people who had the RNY and they seem to have more difficulty in keeping up their vitamin and minerals.  My aunt continuously had a problem with vomiting, and i understand it is harder for their bodies to absorb the nutrients needed because it basically bypasses the stomach (where you digest your nutrients)... I did a lot of research on the net, and talked to a lot of people on line.  Just do your research, down 15 lbs, many to go, but i am on my way...............  GOOD LUCK!
Louise D.
on 9/25/07 3:39 pm - Peoria, AZ
You are very lucky to have insurance cover your impending surgery.  I have to agree with Candi.  You could not ask for a better Dr than Terry Simpson.  He is SO knowledgable, personable, caring and very experienced.  As Candi said he ONLY does Lap Band.  I went into surgery at 7:30am and WALKED out at 9:05am.  I have had no complications and whenever I've had a question Doc or the staff have helped me immediately.  So if you want experience I'd say go with Dr. Simpson.  Good luck to you

KSqtpy
on 9/26/07 2:17 am - AZ
I have nothing but good to report about the lapband. I am so happy with my choice! Dr. Simpson is an absolute angel. He truly cares about his patients. I had a "stuck" episode this last Saturday and he met me in his office for an unfill after checking on me ALL day. I couldn't ask for better care. I couldn't believe he would come in on a Saturday to help me. I haven't even had a fill since surgery (the AP band comes with a little in it) and my loss is still good! Even being "stuck" was painful, but not awful. And for me, the idea that I don't have to take meds all the time and that the band is there and will work if "I" work was the most important thing. I'm not a good sick person, so complications were really scary to me. You will make the right decision. Just do lots of research and go to a few seminars. Dr. Simpson even allows prospective patients to come to support group meetings. Good luck, and I am jealous insurance is paying....LOL   Kelci
LUCKY1001
on 9/28/07 2:53 pm - goodyear, AZ
Best of luck! You will not regret the band! I wish I got it sooner. PM me if you have any questions!

Lucky1001_proudOHbyLizzyL.gif

Most Active