Need help - just moved here from another state

Jobe
on 9/24/07 8:24 am - Chandler, AZ
Dear all, I just moved here from another state. I am 13 months post op and I am looking for a center that would take me in to continue monitor my progress. I started to search around,  - Scottsdale Bariatric, they gave me an execuse to not take me in!  Aparently they are so swamped with paitients, they can't take any new ones (go figure!) - Mayo Clinc - would be considered an out of network, I would have to pay 50% out of pocket, forget that. So I am here posting this and asking you for your help in recommending a facility for me. I am new to the area, I live in Tempe and I moved from Michigan where I was under the care of Kavin Krause (surgeon) and M Doyle. (monitors my progress, blood tests) My one year post op blood tests have alrady been done before I relocated however, I need to re-fill my prescriptions and that's why I need to see someone very soon.
Jobe
on 9/24/07 9:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
On their website, Scottsdale Bariatric does not accept patients that have had surgery elsewhere.  That isn't a totally unheard of practice.  Try going to the Arizona Bariatric surgeon site (to the left side under Other Arizona Resources) here on OH and get a list of doctors that might take you.  Incidentally, Go Blue!
M. clarke
on 9/24/07 10:38 am
Welcome Jobe, Not sure if they were blowing you off or not, but Scottsdale Bariatric really is swamped. They stopped taking new patients all together from what I've been reading here. Even those that haven't had the surgery they are that busy. Just so you don't think it was personal :) Welcome to Arizona and the AZ board!  Where in Michigan are you from?
Jobe
on 9/25/07 2:55 am - Chandler, AZ
Thanks LissC I am from Belleville, which is close to either Canton or Ann Arbor
Jobe
on 9/25/07 11:24 am
ah okay. I'm from everywhere except around there :) I moved around the west side of Michigan a lot. Never lived in Ann Arbor or Detroit area. Drove through there a few times :)  Your coming here at a good time, just out of the summer heat!
desert rat
on 9/24/07 12:17 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Jobe, Call Dr. Juarez.  I know a couple of people who had surgery in other states, one lap-bander went to Mexico, and Dr Juarez has taken them all in.  I think he's out of St. Luke's in downtown Phoenix but of course, they can tell you that... Don't think too badly about SBC, they have had only one surgeon for over a year when they used to have 3.  They really are SWAMPED but I don't think they took transfer patients even before that. I have heard that Dr Juarez is really good so I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck, Dj
 Pre-Op 316.  Currently 134.  Goal was 135 but I'm ecstatic.
ginau
on 9/24/07 1:56 pm - mesa, AZ
Jobe  You just might be in luck today , There is a Dr in the Tempe , Chandler area who might be what your looking for ..  one of the girls just went to him and he has some good exp with gastric pts - he is new in private practice so I knw he is accpeting new pts ..name is J Hammoum  MD  under Advanced FAmily Medicine. He did one year of intern at the Mayo in Rochester and worked the the gastric sregeons there and then one year with the plastic surgeons at Mayo that worked with the WLS people. Char wrote this about the new Dr ..>>>>>>>>> He understand a lot, and seems to really care.  Time will tell, but I was very impress with my first visit. He is at 604 W Warner RD  Suite #B-1  Chandler AZ 85225  480-456-4500  name is J Hammoum  MD  under Advanced FAmily Medicine, he is the only one in the office at this time.  Ver Very nice person, like I said I got more out of him in 1 hour than with my other primary care in the last 2 years, I was just too lazy to try and find a new PCP.......so glad I did. His office off Warner  East of Alma School .. and he is in the very back building . downstairson the right side .  is
justcuz
on 9/24/07 2:06 pm - Maricopa, AZ
You might want to check our Dr Fang and Dr Juarez out of St Luke's. They are part of the Center of Excellence and I think they help out people that transfer.  Welcome to AZ by the way. 

------------
                     laughter is the key to life     

Arizona_Sun
on 9/25/07 1:34 am - Gilbert, AZ
You can also check out Dr. Schlesinger at www.azwls.com to see if he would take you on as a new patient.  He used to be with Barix Clinics here and is now in his own practice. 

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

Jobe
on 9/25/07 3:10 am - Chandler, AZ
Thank you all for helping me with picking up a doctor. It seems that the doctors you have mentioned here are all surgeons.  Back in Michigan, I had a surgeon who would check on me every 6 months (initially every month or so) but the task of monitoring my any possible deficiencies was done by another doctor. This doctor was part of a weight loss clinic. This center has nurses, doctors and nutritinists who would monitor gastric bypass paitients for pre-op and post-op issues. For example, blood tests, vitamin deficiencies and so on. from what I see so far here in Arizona that a medical practice has a surgeon and does that surgeon monitor everything? or does the surgeon here leave the long term monitoring of possible deficiencies by your primary care physician? Back in Michigan, if I call the surgeon directly, they would refer me to the weight loss center, it looks like here in Arizona the surgeon basically runs the whole show?
Jobe