Stomaphyx scheduled!

cmurphy
on 9/12/07 9:57 am
I had my consultation with Dr Schlesinger today and my Stomaphyx procedure is scheduled for September 27th.  I am so excited!  Since this is a fairly new procedure I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I was even able to do my pre-op bloodwork today so now all I need is my psych eval. I am hoping that I won't have any trouble doing this prior to my date. Kathy and Dr Schlesinger were both very helpful and friendly, and they were able to answer all my  questions and even encouraged more. I feel like I am in very good hands.
Arizona_Sun
on 9/13/07 2:45 am - Gilbert, AZ
I find it interesting that they require a psych eval for the Stomaphyx.  Good luck with your procedure.

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

JRinAZ
on 9/13/07 3:17 am - Layton, UT
The reason for the psych eval was explained to me in a way that made oodles of sense.  Most of us with regain have had some mechanical failure but since many of us have a history of head issues regarding food; it is not a stretch to consider non-compliance or even emotional/clinical issues as a reason for the regain or the incomplete loss with the first WLS. It's a minimal screening requirement.  They suggested a 1 hour consult with any licensed therapist which could include a friend of a friend.....  It's difficult to evalutate any crafty person in an hour but the short screening could detect hostility, non-compliance possiblities, etc.  which could help determine whether a patient could be successful with a stomaphyx or not. Stomaphyx does not guarantee losing like the orginal gastric bypass surgery.  Malabsorption is not part of the equation at all.  It very effectively renews original restriction; and in some cases makes it better than it ever had been before.  But, to be successful, like a lapbander.....the patient must be compliant.   Three weeks of liquid is tough for anyone and non-compliance like eating heavy foods too early could completely undo the fasteners; kind of like ripping the bandages off of an open incision and hiking a pair of heavy jeans over it....heavy pressure where healing needs to be babied, can undo anyone's stomaphyx. I think we all have nightmares of paying for and going through the long MMPI required by insurances.  This requirement is not even close to that.
Arizona_Sun
on 9/13/07 3:54 am - Gilbert, AZ
Thanks Joyce.  I know that head issues and food relationship are part of my problem.  I finally had to realize that my body craves sweet even if it is SF.  I am now "on the wagon" and away from Crystal Light Peach Tea and I only have one protein bar that I can access during a day.  I never got back into desserts or SF candies at all.  I have remained SF since surgery almost 4 years ago.  I set up a "lock box" that contains anything in the house that I would be inclined to eat beyond reasonable.  Steve has the key.  I am now able to go days w/o a protein bar to full my crunch desire.  I am using carrots and stocking the healthier stuff (chicken, cheese, etc.).  The head part here has been the realization that I pretty much have to have a sweet free life and need to stay to the less satisfying (mentally) foods.  Chicken and fish are not as much fun to eat as a crunchy protein bar.  Water is not nearly as tasty as Crystal Light.  But, if I am to have a shot at all of not regaining all my lost weight I have to live like this.  It is not fair, but it is my life.  My body does not respond appropriately to certain foods. I hope to lose weight, but my hypoglycemia issues keep me at a higher calorie count for the day than what I would wish so I am not sure how successful weight loss will be.  Is my surgery broken?  I am not sure.  Some day I will have it checked out to know what it going on inside the body part of me.  There is also the realization for me that my food memories from childhood do set me up.  My best memories are of family gatherings where everyone was laughing and having a good time AND I could eat until I was miserable - I did that.  My other childhood food memory is that of being hungry most of the time and I am having to face the hunger beast again.  I truly hate that feeling of being hungry, but it exists.  I was a skinny child and teenager (weighed 118 when I graduated high school at 5'9").  Once in my own home, my pantry was never empty and there was no limit to the treats that I could enjoy.  Well, we all know that got me to the RNY surgeon's door in my mid-50s.   The long and short of it is I will be watching others to see how the Stomaphyx works for them in reality.  Then, I can decide for me.  I am just not mentally ready for another surgery unless I feel positive that it will truly help long term.

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

Most Active