4 days post op /lap band

BoneyMaroney
on 9/9/07 7:38 am

I had the lap band surgery on 9/6.  Had to endure that horrible hospital poison liquid diet ( just don't understand the point of that at all).  Today is my first day on soft proteins.  i don't notice any restriction what so ever. I can drink as I did prior to surgery.  Today with my first solid soft foods I ate cottage cheese and some scrambled eggs.  I ate the entire container of cottage cheese because I was so hungry. I never felt full.  Is this to be expected?  I am really surprised and wonder how I will lose weight.  Of course my weight is higher than pre op due to the liquids pumped into me during surgery and the salt filled liquids provided to me during the 24 hours in the hospital.  I am not taking pain meds because they make me feel worse and I walked a mile this morning instead of my usual two.   I am concerned that I won't get any weight loss.  Anyone else have this experience with the lap band?  I am only interested in hearing from lap band recipients as RNY isn't relatable to me.

Top weight 244/ surgery 236/goal 137
arroyo
on 9/9/07 8:53 am - Phoenix, AZ
I didn't have the same experience as you did, but just wanted to post in support of you. I have read so many posts and just realized that no two people are alike. The thing that  I loved about Blackstones office is that they do let you on soft proteins so soon. Many clinics require liquids for a coupld of weeks. I know it's hard not to worry about the weight loss, but I do think it's true that it's really about healing right now. Just follow the rules they give you and you will heal and also loose weight. Maybe try to find foods that fill you up more. Possibly turkey bacon or turkey deli meat, tuna etc. Follow the rules of not eating longer than 20 minutes and more than three times a day. Sometimes I have found even if I don't feel completely full after my meal if I wait the 30 minutes and start drinking I really feel satisfied.  One thing that was the same for me was that I didn't really notice liquids going down or feel any restriction with liquids. I have had a fill now and do feel restriction but not with liquids, so I think that is normal. Hang in there and e-mail the nutritionists if you need more ideas it's a really supportive team that wants you to succeed. I also find a lot of support by going to support group. Depending on how your feeling but I went a few days after I had my surgery.

Before pre-op diet: 286.5/ Day before surgery: 275.5/Current: 171

BoneyMaroney
on 9/9/07 4:39 pm
Wow, you've had substantial weight loss.  This is inspirational to me.  I had a good food day for my first food day and ate approx. 1300 calories of protein.  I wanted to experiment with the amount of food to see if I had any restriction.  I didn't ever feel any however I wasn't hungry or wanting snacks between my three meals.  I followed the rules...30, 20, 30 but was surprised I could eat as much as I did.  Breakfast was a 6 oz 0 fat yogurt, 16 0z cottage cheese and two egg whites with 1/2 oz of melted cheese.  This really surprised me but as I said I was 'testing' the amounts.  For lunch I had one 3.5 oz can of sardines and dinner was 3.5 oz of tuna with 1 tbl mayonaise, 6 oz of 0 fat yogurt, 1/4 cup black beans with 1/4 oz of cheese.  I had the blk beans for fiber to keep my colon in good shape.  I figure after the antibiotics I need the yogurt to restore my colon health and the fiber to keep things moving through it.  I just want to mitigate the lack of fiber and beans will really help there. I also drank a glass of non fat organic milk. I will eat less tomorrow but I think I will continue with the glasses of milk because one 8 oz glass has 12 grams of protein which will really help.  Tomorrow I am planning on having 3 egg whites cooked in 1 tsp. olive oil and 6oz 0fat yogurt for breakfast, sardines for lunch again and black beans and chicken for dinner.  I will not have any cheese but add two glasses of milk.  I am getting 100 oz of water in.  I am so relieved not to have the constant all day hunger.  I also notice that even though I could eat as much as I did at a meal I felt completely satisfied at the 20 minute mark.  Not wanting any snacks was the best.  This is a real relief for me because before this band I could eat all day long and never feel full with a normal meal. I hope to realize the type of success you have had.  Congratulations to you.  I know the band is a tool but there is still a lot of responsiblity involved in making it work so I know you have been responsible.  thanks for responding to my post.  I will keep in touch with you on this site. 

BoneyMaroney
on 9/9/07 4:43 pm
I keep missing the support group. I went once but missed the last two Months.  Remembered about them MOnday at 6:45 and was very disappointed.  Is there only one a month?  IF so I wish there were more.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/07 2:25 am - AZ
Remember the first 6 weeks of getting banded is hell. You don't have the restriction you want so you have to work really hard to watch what you eat and make sure you only eat the amount your doctor has told you to eat. It's all about healing and you don't want to over do it.
Your lucky to be on soft foods so soon. I had to do clear liquids, full liquids and than soft foods.

Best of Luck
Lorrie
arroyo
on 9/10/07 4:22 am - Phoenix, AZ
The lap band support group is the first monday from 6:00-7:30, but because last monday was a holiday it is tonight at 6:00 p.m. I think they may add an additional gropu in the future. I know they added an on-line support group on a Tuesday night, but I am not sure which. It's in the newletter if you get those.

Before pre-op diet: 286.5/ Day before surgery: 275.5/Current: 171

BoneyMaroney
on 9/10/07 5:09 am
Oh, thanks so much for telling me. I will go tonight for sure.

Most Active